Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'85 Nissan Truck Z24 looses power and sputters at high RPM or going up a hill

irishincali
01-31-2008, 08:50 PM
I have a 1985 Nissan pickup with a Z24 engine. I just tuned it up. Plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. Also replaced fuel filter and air filter. When going up a hill, or high RPM when engine is under a load it starts to sputter when throttled to the max. Feels like one hell of a miss to be honest. I did not have this problem until after my tune up. I rechecked all the wires, made sure cap and rotor were installed properly. All seems well. I was told by my friendly neighborhood parts dealer that the gapping for my plugs was .032 Is this correct? I do remember the old plugs I removed having more of a gap like .040-.042 Could the gapping on my plugs cause this? Maybe not gettin enough spark to handle full throttle? Engine is carborated. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

zanegrey
02-03-2008, 10:53 AM
read the codes first..

however..check that you put the coil wires on the right coils.
sounds to me like u switched them...

xv750rider
02-03-2008, 09:02 PM
The correct gap for your truck is .032. The reason the old plugs had a bigger gap was because they were worn, or may have been gapped incorrectly when installed.
I agree with the previous post, check your codes and wires. If you have a Haynes manual, it will tell you what the firing order is. If this truck has 8 spark plugs (it may), both spark plugs per cylinder need to fire at the same time to produce the correct power.

irishincali
02-07-2008, 10:04 PM
ok, tried that, didn't make a difference at all. Was the same actually. Now, can timing also cause this? Thanks

zanegrey
02-08-2008, 02:32 PM
did you read the codes??

if the timing is right a low rpm then it is right at high rpms..

xv750rider
02-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I agree with the above post. If your timing is off, you would have the problem @ low RPM's as well as at high RPM's.
Did you install the right temperature of plug? I have found that OEM or NGK plugs work best in a Nissan. If you opted for the Bosch or other aftermarket manufacturer, then the temperature may be a bit off.
Also, use the OEM style wires as well. Any aftermarket wires may have an effect on the ignition system.

irishincali
02-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't want to sound like a fool, but what are codes? I did use after market products for the tune up. Sure hope I don't have to do it all over again. I really appreciate the input from you both. This is really helping me. Nice to know there are still great people out there willing to help someone out.

irishincali
02-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I got it, you both were right. My actual plug wires were mixed up, all runs good now. Thanks for all your help.:smokin:

zanegrey
02-09-2008, 05:35 PM
well.

now that is up and running u should get to know it..

if it's anything like mine u r n 4 a hellov aride ...

xv750rider
02-11-2008, 07:34 PM
No problem. I'm glad you got it running well :)

Add your comment to this topic!