Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Synthetic (high mileage) oil?

Ducaire
01-31-2008, 05:47 PM
I've heard you can get synthetic oil for older vehicles with a lot of miles on them. Is it supposed to last longer so that you don't have to change it as often? I've heard it costs twice as much as a regular oil change.

My 1990 S10 has 216'160 miles. Should I get the synthetic oil, or just the standard (which I've been getting)?

Thanks. :)

G.A.S.
01-31-2008, 06:59 PM
you can do eather on an older vehical like that with lots of miles, and you are right about the cost and change intervals.
The synthetic wont hurt a bit.

j cAT
01-31-2008, 07:08 PM
I've heard you can get synthetic oil for older vehicles with a lot of miles on them. Is it supposed to last longer so that you don't have to change it as often? I've heard it costs twice as much as a regular oil change.

My 1990 S10 has 216'160 miles. Should I get the synthetic oil, or just the standard (which I've been getting)?

Thanks. :)

if you use synthetic on a vehicle like yours [high mileage] you will not get the full benefit of this oil , as your engine is worn, because of the use of conv. oil.over the many miles. because of this make sure that you change your filter at 3k mi.and at 6kmi replace oil and filter. it is possible that this could be increased somewhat but if the oil gets too dark you must get that carbon out as it will damage the internals.....

wafrederick
01-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Not a good Idea.I just replaced an engine in a 2001 Dodge truck with a 360 in it.It has 329,000 miles on and it was worn out.Changing the oil to synthetic was not an option.Castrol,Quaker State and Valvoline have a high miliage oil that is not synthetic for high mile vehicles.

Blue Bowtie
01-31-2008, 09:23 PM
There is really no need for a "high mileage" synthetic. Just use as standard PAO (NOT a group III) synthetic. If the engine has lots of accumulated varnish and sludge, you'll have to change the filter frequently as j cAT advised. Use of multigrade mineral oils for a lot of miles will usually result in lots of sludge and varnish.

Add your comment to this topic!