Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Getting Started on a Budget

McC4rtn3y
01-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Ok, I haven't grown up in a very car-focused family, so I know next to nothing about the technical aspect of autos. However, there is a strip roughly 15 minutes from my house, and after watching some races I'd like to try it out myself. As a highschool kid who's got to pay for it all himself, I've got a very low budget to work with, and I have a few questions that I hope will help me get a better grasp of what I'm looking at here.

First off, I've saved enough to pay for insurance for a year or so, in addition to some extra to pay for any repairs I might need. After taking out gas money and just some basic spending money, I hope to earn enough this summer to be looking at a budget for the car of around $2500-$3000 tops. Is it unrealistic to look for a car to race with using a low budget like this? What kind of cars should I be keeping my eye out for? (I drive a Mini Cooper S and a VW passat wagon 1.8t, so experience with different cars isn't my strong point)

Also, what kind of upgrades should I look into getting after I find a car? I've heard that a performance exhaust is the first thing to look into, but what about other stuff? Headers, intake? What's the best bang for the buck? I'm looking to build a respectably fast car 13's-14's. Again, is this possible on my kind of budget, or am I fumbling around in the dark here?

Maintenance and upgrades is something I'd like to do myself, both to save money and so that if it breaks I might be able to fix it. Is doing basic maintenance and upgrades on a car something a fairly smart 16-year-old can pick up on, or would it be a better idea to get it professionally done?

Since I don't really know much about this whole drag thing, I'm trying to get my hands on as much information as possible. I've probably missed a lot, and anything extra you guys can help me with would be appreciated.

Short version- I want to race, budget of $2500-$3000 for car and parts. What do I look for? What upgrades? Install myself? Advice for getting started?

GForce957
01-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Can you mod the mini cooper or passat? It's gonna be tough to build a car for that little money and have it be in the 13-14 second range. couple grand in either of the cars you already have is gonna be a lot nicer then finding an old beater and trying to fix it up, especially if you don't know much about doing so.

McC4rtn3y
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
My parents won't let me run the mini, even stock, and the passat isn't a manual in addition to supposedly being prone to engine problems. (any truth to this?) How hard is it to fix up an older car? I would imagine its difficult but not too bad.

So I'm pretty much screwed then, huh?

GForce957
01-30-2008, 03:11 PM
I've always heard they are more prone to electrical problems, but I don't know anyone who has a vw.

What about buying an old civic and doing a swap?

McC4rtn3y
01-30-2008, 03:22 PM
You know, I hadn't thought of that. I'm assuming that a swap is NOT something that I'd be able to do myself, so how much do you think I'd be looking out for a used motor and installation? What kind of motor would be the best to go with?

MadgwickTT
01-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Ok well first Your Mini S should be about a 14.5 second car give or take on the driver, I have a SVT Contour that passes 13.9 and its almost stock, it has intake,bigger mass airflow sensor, bigger throttle body, full header back exhaust, underdrive pully and thats about it, roughly 5500 into the car including the cost of buying it, if your looking to spend 3000 or so is that entire budget if you have to buy a car to build for dragging and make it fast with that, your better off finding a car thats already passing that and is a little beat up body wise, most cars geting to the 13 second mark is very easy ti accomplish if i were you i'd try and get the budget more around 5,000 range get a cheap RWD Import, (nissan 240sx, Older Supra, MR2, or rx-7) and get very good at DIY(do it yourself) its alot easier to launch a rear or all wheel drive car and all of those cars are pretty easy and cheap to mod they have huge aftermarkets so your options aren't very limited, I was going to do a 240 I decided that would be best for dragging because it comes with such a good rear axle, lsd, very light and can fit a chevy v8 and drivetrain in it, obviously you'll be going the cheaper route but i'd find a 240sx with a blown motor buy the japan spec engine for it (sr20det) its a turbo 2.0 little bastards can mooooove some power through them they can take very high boost, and are really cheap to get entire engines w/ trans and turbos and everything usually around 1000-2000 dollers, the engine bay has alot of room to work so its good for learning, the other route i'd go would be DSM (Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser) they're all the same car and have a insane following get the AWD Turbo model those cars have been known to pass as fast as 7 seconds, shouldn't cost more than 5,000 to get a nice one and pass low 13's, but like i said get used to working on cars you might as well learn it young.

McC4rtn3y
01-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Well, right now i'm pretty much just looking for what kind of base cars I should be searching for. The car itself, no mods, will need to be around $2500-$3000 with no or only minor repairs needed. It'll be a dd to get me to school, and i'll upgrade parts as I get the money. Just trying to get a general idea of what price range i'm looking at here, because if it's going to be too expensive i'll just try and find an old bmw sedan I can clean up.

So, rwd imports? What about small trucks, s-10's or mazda b-series? Are they a good base to work from?

GForce957
01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
so you dont know much about installs? what about friends? it def will save you a ton of money if you know people who can help install and show you the ropes

McC4rtn3y
01-30-2008, 07:57 PM
I have no prior experience at all with installs, and neither does anyone i know. I think this idea is something i'll have to tuck away until i can scrape together enough cash to actually get somewhere. Sorry for being such a newb :tongue:.

MadgwickTT
01-31-2008, 06:46 AM
S-10 makes for great projects but they're true projects when you find a car find some active forums dedicated to that car specifically and they'res usually a local branch thats the place to find help, like for my contour i goto contour.org and my stealth i goto 3si.org and its extremly helpful, http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html
this might be helpful for you too take a look @ stock times on cars you like the style of and narrow it down like that

MrPbody
01-31-2008, 08:01 AM
It's always dicey, at best, to "race what you drive". If you already have a daily driver, I would suggest a dedicated "race car". That is, a car that sees time only at the track. Maintainence is lower, keeping costs down. It would require the ability to tow the car. No insurance(!).

For the most bang for the buck, the imports are "out". They simply cost too much, both initial price and modifications. For the same money you build a 13 second 4-cylinder, you can build a V8-powered car that will run much stronger and last much longer. You might look at "racejunk.com". There are a miriad of choices there. Anything from rolling chassis' to "turn key" race cars. You'll find your imports there, too. I like the GM "G-Body" for an economical race car these days. Small block Chevys bolt right in. Easy enough to get them to run in the 11s, and with a bit of tuning and some high-end parts, 10s.

Jim

Fordfan5606
02-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I agree definitely dont race your driver. Stuff breaks and "I broke an axle at the track" isnt a good excuse to the boss. I recommend buying a mid to late80's mustang, camaro etc..they are cheap to buy $500 to $1000 in running condition and the aftermarket is flooded with parts. Plus they are easy to work on because they arent as computer controlled as the newer cars and they ran fairly good in factory condition. Either one requires little if any suspension mods to leave the starting line straight and run straight down the track. I run 1/8 mile and I know guys that have 87 thru 93 mustangs running in the low 5 sec range on stock suspension. Hope this may help, but I must warn you it is very addictive and very expensive

Add your comment to this topic!