Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

msd 6a

strodda
02-22-2003, 05:42 PM
i have the opportunity to get a msd6a for a relatively cheap price, but i was wondering if its worth getting. i have the standard i/h/e and 10.3mm wires. im also going to be putting in denso plugs. would there be any performance gain by installing a new ignition? or is it aimed more towards highly modified motors?

also, does it matter which iridium plugs i get, ngk or denso?

wagsaccordsir
02-23-2003, 09:46 AM
Hey Strodda these are the components that I have installed on my car. I don't know if you remember all the problems I had after my swap, but this is what fixed most of them. Throughout the whole power band she runs smooth and hard. Before it would be chopping and suffer some lag in places. I think its tha shit man... I honestly dint think it would do much, but was I in for a suprise. Heres the link to back up the following info. http://www.msdignition.com/

The MSD Sport Compact Ignition (SCI) is the ultimate ignition for the high revving smaller displacement engines that are found in late model sport vehicles. At higher rpm, stock inductive ignitions cannot produce full power sparks resulting in a loss of power or even a top end miss.
The new MSD SCI Series Ignitions feature capacitive discharge circuits that are capable of full power sparks at any rpm! Whether you’re idling through traffic or ripping through the gears at 10,000+ rpm, each spark of an SCI Ignition is at full power! High powered sparks mean complete combustion which puts more power to the ground.
Below 3,000 rpm, the SCI Ignitions produce a series of sparks that last for 20° of crankshaft rotation. This series of sparks will smooth the idle, produce quick starts and deliver lightning quick throttle response.
There are two models of the MSD SCI Ignition Controls offered; the SCI, PN 6300, and the SCI-L, PN 6320. With these proven ignitions, your sport compact car will get the spark power it needs to outperform the competition on both the street and the track.
Every spark is at full power with 110 milliJoules of energy.
Up to 470 volts is delivered to the primary side of the coil.
Multiple spark series lasts for 20° of crankshaft duration.
Installs to most engines with a distributor and 12 volt, negative ground
system
MSD SCI Ignition Control, PN 6300
The MSD SCI is the base SCI Ignition Control. The SCI will work on most engines equipped with a distributor and is supplied with detailed instructions and wiring.

BLASTER COIL

Blaster SS Coil, PN 8207
The Blaster SS is an E-core style coil, which is a very efficient design when it comes to producing high voltage and spark energy. The windings produce 300mA and can handle up to 48,000 volts when used with an MSD 6 Series Ignition Control. The windings are held secure in a Dupont® Rynite™ injection molded shell and are then encased in an epoxy compound for protection against vibration and water. The primary terminals are located at opposite ends of the tall spark tower so there is no chance of arcing especially with the high dielectric characteristics of the Rynite housing.
The Coil is compact enough to fit in tight areas and is supplied with vibrations mounts.
Blaster SS Coil - PN 8207
CARB Approval Pending

WIRES

The MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire is "the" performance wire.Engineered from the inside out, the 8.5 offers everything you have everwanted in a wire; incredibly low resistance without electronic interference! In a single 12 inch length of Super Conductor Wire there is only 40 - 50 ohms of resistance! That is the lowest resistance of any helically wound wire. To accomplish this, we use a copper alloy conductor due to it's great voltage carrying capabilities. The low resistance results in less loss in spark energy so more reaches the spark plug. The conductor is wound extremely tight around a special center core. So tight in fact, that there is over 40 feet of conductor wrapped into a single foot of plug wire. This winding procedure, combined with a ferro-magnetic impregnated center core, produces an extremely effective Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) "choke".
This choke, or suppression capability, keeps the EMI inside the wire where it cannot interfere with other electronics on your vehicle. The outer sleeve that surrounds the conductor assembly is just as impressive. A proprietary blend of silicone and synthetic material produce a sleeve that is highly resistant to high heat as well as abrasion and tears. The MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Plug Wire is available in Universal Kits and Bulk Lengths.

Only 40 - 50 Ohms resistance per foot.
Over 40 feet of conductor is wound into a foot of wire.
Outer sleeve provides resistance to high heat and abrasion.

strodda
02-23-2003, 04:21 PM
ok, thanks man. guess ill get one, since ill still be able to use it down the line when i get a new motor. is it necessary to also get a new dist. cap and coil to actually benefit?

hondaman-iac
02-24-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by strodda
ok, thanks man. guess ill get one, since ill still be able to use it down the line when i get a new motor. is it necessary to also get a new dist. cap and coil to actually benefit?

yes, because you will be changing the coil too, ans as far as i remeber the 90-91 have internal coils. i would look into a crane distributor overhaul kit. it addapts the distributor from internal coil to external one. i have it, but i used only the rotor. it made a whole lot of difference. summit racing has them, and do a search on the site for the kit.

jeffseby
03-01-2003, 10:11 PM
ya, i want to get MSD but i dont know to get MSD 6A Igniton with SS coil or MSD SCI Ignition with SS Coil. Will they both work with SS coil? Ima get a MSD modified Dist. Cap for sure.

Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!