Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

License Plates

Jay!
10-14-2001, 07:29 PM
I hate model car licence plates. Don't know if you noticed, but my MR2 didn't have any. :( I screwed 'em up, and never got back to fixing them...

Why I don't like them:
1. They're too thick
2. The plates that come with the kit are stupid. Usually like 2000 or 3000 or something that matches the engine or some dumb crap. Then there's the "show car" plates that just have the logo, but damnit, I want street cars! :mad:
3. I like Japanese plates, but don't understand them.
4. I understand American plates, but they're all so complicated, and hard to replicate. :(
5. I never cut the decals small enough, so I always get overhang... :(

I like the look of Guiddy's plates, but they're a bit too simple (sorry!). Warren's plates look thiner than the kit parts, too. What do you guys use?

I have some sheet styrene that I'm going to play around with next time. It's .010mm think, I think. What'll work better: trimming the decal to match the plate (or vice versa) before applying the decal, or applying the decal with the extra trim, then cutting both at once?

Sorry, all... Just venting. :D

Guiddy
10-15-2001, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by jay@af
I like the look of Guiddy's plates, but they're a bit too simple (sorry!).

What do you mean too simple? In the letters chosen or the look of them?

I could add fixing screws, and most plates here have the garage at the bottom and a thin border! But how could I make them?
I may try photographing a plate and printing it on photo paper! that may work!

Guiddy
10-15-2001, 02:35 AM
This is sort of what I mean.....

Jay!
10-15-2001, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Guiddy

What do you mean too simple? In the letters chosen or the look of them?

I could add fixing screws, and most plates here have the garage at the bottom and a thin border! But how could I make them?
I may try photographing a plate and printing it on photo paper! that may work! The look of them. I always though yours looked fine for British plates, but stupid American ones ar so complex! I never saw that stuff at the bottom. :) As it is, whet are they? Plastic or cardstock?

That's one thing I really liked about the R33 kit: the plates has nubs on one side as locators for mounting, but also had them on the other side to emulate mounting screws. Before placement, while the decals were still dry, I poked holes with a needel that matched the nubs on the fron of the plate. Those turned out great. (except for the thickness)

I saw some on a site today that looked like the kind of plat that has the plastic holder around it. I wonder if that's feasable...

Jay!
10-15-2001, 03:32 AM
This is sort of what I mean..... What does it say at the bottom?

Also, to clarify: I didn't mean to say I didn't like yours, or that I dont think they look good. It's just that I don't understand them. :-\

Guiddy
10-15-2001, 12:30 PM
What does it say at the bottom?

The name of the importer, Middlehurst Motorsport.
Most have the name of the garage the car was bought from.
As for understanding our plates, it is a bit complex! But there is a system. You won't want to make British plates though, so I won't bother going through it!
We have just changed to a new system now! looks awful! ALL plates must have 7 digits, wereas before you could have between 5 to 7!

DVSNCYNIKL
10-15-2001, 12:39 PM
This is sort of what I mean.....

:bloated: :bloated: :bloated:The pic in your post!

Jay!
10-20-2001, 10:19 PM
Okay, maybe this'll help me. ;) Check out this site:

http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/

Guiddy
10-21-2001, 03:32 AM
Then what do you do, print them out onto photo paper?

Jay!
10-21-2001, 04:33 AM
I guess so. :confused: But that might be better than having every plate say "2000," "3000," and "1800."

Guiddy
10-21-2001, 06:55 AM
Here's one for you!:D
http://www.eframes.com/ef-cgi/d/daniel_guidone_ntlworld_com/8624license_20011021045422_593.jpg

Jay!
10-21-2001, 01:59 PM
Here's one for you!:D
http://www.eframes.com/ef-cgi/d/daniel_guidone_ntlworld_com/8624license_20011021045422_593.jpg :lol2:

Every state in the U.S. does their license system differently. California is totally sequential:

1AAA111
1AAA112
1AAA999
1AAB000
1AAB001
etc...

:rolleyes:

The states like Texas and NY have a symbol in the center, so you have to leave a break...

ales
10-21-2001, 02:10 PM
Okay, maybe this'll help me. ;) Check out this site:

http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/

How come I can't make it work???

Jay!
10-21-2001, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by ales

How come I can't make it work??? I dunno. What does it do?

S Brake
10-21-2001, 05:18 PM
This is what my 512 is going to have...:D http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/licenses/license_20011021151747_45757.jpg

Jay!
10-21-2001, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by snowboarder927
This is what my 512 is going to have...:D http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/licenses/license_20011021151747_45757.jpg A red X?

Haha! It says right on the site you can't link to them.... :lol2:

ales
10-22-2001, 01:16 AM
I dunno. What does it do?

Absolutely nothing! When I put some text in the field and press the button it pretty much just reloads the first page.

Jay!
10-22-2001, 12:49 PM
Absolutely nothing! When I put some text in the field and press the button it pretty much just reloads the first page. Are you sure it's not adding the plate at the top of the screen? Other than that, the second screen does look the same...

Guiddy
10-22-2001, 12:51 PM
Are you sure it's not adding the plate at the top of the screen? Other than that, the second screen does look the same...

He's from Estonia!:rolleyes: Far too near Poland for my liking!:D

ales
10-22-2001, 03:39 PM

He's from Estonia!:rolleyes: Far too near Poland for my liking!:D

Poland?!! Well, screw Poland (it sucks), you, and your liking! :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :flipa: Haha! Poland... Poland my cute little ass! I've been to Poland once. trust me, if you're Russian and it's the beginning of the 90-s Poland sucks.

Didn't you have a girlfriend in Poland?:flipa: :flipa:

Guiddy
10-22-2001, 04:03 PM

Didn't you have a girlfriend in Poland?:flipa: :flipa:

Yep! That's why it sucks!!!:D

Jay!
10-22-2001, 06:09 PM
Do you guys think decals would stick to untreated aluminum foil? Or to painted aluminum foil?

I had an idea that I could make my plates on that site, fix the resolution and tweak the image so that the background color was transparent instead. Then paint some heavy-gauge aluminum foil white, or whatever the background color is, then have the custom decal with only the lettering to put on over the top.

If it works, I'll have a thin plate that's natural aluminum color on the backside, and look halfway decent on the front.

ales
10-23-2001, 01:19 AM
... then have the custom decal ...

I would *love* to hear more about this particular part of your project.

As for your question, I don't see any reason for the decal not to stick. It will be sticking to paint anyway. Just use some stuff to make it sit better (Humbrol Decalfix works very well for me).

Add your comment to this topic!