Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heater Control Head shorted??

dh271
01-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Has anyone heard of the "control head" for the blower motor? I had my 2004 Impala checked out by the dealer. They said the control head was probably shorted to the tune of $433 and the blower motor resistor might be bad to for another $210. I know the resistor will cost $26 to $40 if I bought it myself depending on where I go. bought this car 3 weeks and it was in perfect shape for $3000 below Nada. Now I know why the "good deal" was made. I didn`t get an extended warranty because that would have cost $1200 and it wouldn`t have covered this repair anyway.

Bottom line, $643 repair bill to get my blower motor going again. Any suggestions? Is the heater control panel difficult to remove? Thanks!
One day before the cold weather hits here again.

dh271
01-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Ok, after a little homework, I know what it is now. HEATER CONTROL PANEL. I`ve found one at a salvage and a few on Ebay. $50 including shipping and a 30 day warranty on average. Better than the $280 I was quoted by a dealership just for the part. Going to replace the resistor first ($29.99 at Oreillys). I`ve replaced the controls in a Corsica a couple of times, can`t be that difficult.
One other thing FYI. One dealership told me if everthing lights up and all controls work except for fan, then it`s the resistor, another dealership said that`s not the case, go figure. No dealerships for me anymore.

dh271
01-29-2008, 06:17 AM
Final Update.
Dealership was wrong on everything. It was my blower motor. Not the resistor, not the control head. They would have charged me $643 and still wouldn`t have been repaired until they charged a few hundred more to find the real problem.
Don`t believe everything you hear and do a little research, it will save you hundreds of dollars sometimes.
By the way, blower motor cost me $35 and was warrantied from Nordstroms in South Dakota on Ebay

Add your comment to this topic!