Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

p1133 code for a cavalier

flyanbrian
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I have a 1997 cavalier that the endine light just came on, car seems to be running fine, and i stopped by advance auto and he pulled up that code and it says 'air/fuel metering'. Any idea what this means? Thanks

Headnsouth
01-28-2008, 03:49 PM
This is for the 2.2L. You didn't mention which engine you have.

Circuit Description

The PCM continuously monitors the oxygen sensor 1 (O2S 1) activity for 100 seconds. During the monitor period, the PCM counts the number of times that the O2S 1 switches from rich to lean and from lean to rich. You can determine a total for all of the switches with this information. If the number of switches is too low, a DTC P1133 will set.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

* DTC's P0106, P0107, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0200, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0404, P0405, P0506, P0507, P1404, P1441 not set.
* The number of rich to lean counts is less than 10 or the lean to rich counts is less than 15.
* Engine speed is between 1600 RPM and 2600 RPM.
* TP angle is between 8% and 20%.
* Evaporative emissions control system is commanded open for greater than 36% PWM (auto trans).
* Evaporative emissions control system is commanded open for greater than 50% PWM (manual trans).
* Purge learned memory is greater than 191.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

* The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will illuminate.
* The PCM will record the operating conditions at the time that the diagnostic fails. This information will store in the Freeze Frame and Failure Records buffers.
* A history DTC stores.
* The coolant fan turns ON.
* The vehicle will operate in an Open Loop operation.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

* The MIL will turn OFF after three consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs without a fault.
* A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles without a fault.
* The MIL/DTCs can be cleared by using the scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids

DTC P1133 is most likely caused by one of the following:

* Fuel pressure - The system will go rich if fuel pressure is to high. The PCM can compensate for some increase, however, if it gets too high, a DTC P0132 will be set. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis 2.4L, Fuel System Diagnosis 2.2L.
* Leaking injector - A leaking or malfunctioning injector can cause the system to go rich.
* MAP sensor - An output that causes the PCM to sense a higher than normal manifold pressure (low vacuum) can cause the system to go rich. Disconnecting the MAP sensor will allow the PCM to set a fixed value for the MAP sensor. Substitute a different MAP sensor if the rich condition is gone while the sensor is disconnected.
* Pressure regulator - Check for a leaking fuel pressure regulator diaphragm by checking for the presence of liquid fuel in the vacuum line to the regulator.
* TP sensor - An intermittent TP sensor output will cause the system to go rich due to a false indication of the engine accelerating.
* O2S 1 contamination - Inspect O2S 1 for silicone contamination from fuel or use of improper RTV sealant. The sensor may have a white powdery coating and result in a high but false voltage signal (rich exhaust indication). The PCM will then reduce the amount of fuel delivered to the engine causing a severe surge or driveability problem.

Test Description

Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Table.

The Powertrain OBD System Check prompts the technician to complete some basic checks and store the freeze frame and failure records data on the scan tool if applicable. This creates an electronic copy of the data taken when the malfunction occurred. The information is then stored in the scan tool for later reference.

The replacement PCM must be programmed and the crankshaft position system variation procedure must be preformed. Refer to the latest Techline procedure for PCM reprogramming and also refer to Powertrain Control Module 2.4L, Powertrain Control Module 2.2L for the Crankshaft Position System Variation Procedure.

If no malfunctions have been found at this point and no additional DTCs were set, refer to Diagnostic Aids for additional checks and information.

flyanbrian
01-29-2008, 05:53 AM
yes I have the 2.2L engine. Thanks for the reply

Headnsouth
01-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Hopefully you get it figured out. It might be worth using some Sea foam in the gas tank and some in the intake manifold. not in the crankcase

flyanbrian
01-29-2008, 06:22 AM
i hope so, when i left work yesterday it cut off on me when i was at a stop sign. I may have got some bad gas somewhere is also what i was thinking, so i may put some fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank and see if that helps. I also spoke with my dad who is a mechanic at a ford dealership and he was thinking it was an O2 sensor, but he could not find the exact code i am talking about.

Add your comment to this topic!