Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Buick Century Heat Problem

redrage
01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Since April I have had issue with heat in this vehicle. To make a long story short it was definitely the intake manifold gasket and I had that done to the tune of around 900 bucks, I also had the plugs changed anlong with the fuel filter. The Thermostat on the vehicle was initially changed about 12,200 miles ago when I began having the issues(Buick dealer said bad, but problems got worse)

The car was just fixed Friday and when I drove it hom I opened the hood and seen light smoke coming from the driver side. I took it right back and they assured me all was OK. This GM dealer is my new mechanic. They have been good to me so far.

I decided to let the car cool down for a couple of hours and then went for a drive. While I started the car, I put the heater vent on high and 90 degrees. While the gauge started to move up. Half way between cthe C & the halfway point, Air was still cold. It went all the way up to half and slightly past and I revved the engined and it kicked in, but after idling back down it went back to kewl. After going on a good ride and doing that for about 30-40 minutes it seemd to stabilize. I thought the air pocket might have been released.

Yesterday I tried it again and it kept doing the same thing. Prior to starting it though I looked in the radiator and the overflow tank. The level in the radiator was about 1.5 inches from the top and they must have filled the overflow tank to the top. I didnt have any luck. There was no spillage anywhere. Also one of the times I did add coolant with the cap off, I was parked on a good size incline, I would say somewhere between 45-90 degrees.

This morning I went to do the same thing. I noticed I could not see the fluid level down in the radiator. I added a bit more than a pint, hoping the air had gotten out. I started it up and the same thing. Eventually the hot air kicked in completely. I am hoping someone here can give me suggestions. I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. I am just wondering if I should have changed the thermostat even though it was fairly new. Would this have had to come out when they did the manifold gasket.

This car has been flushed a total of 6 times since April. I am back to using the green coolant because I did not like the DexCool. Before I had the intake manifold changed, I tried ThermalGasket, but it did not work. I got my money back for it, I thought I had othing to lose. That is when I figured to change over to the Green stuff.

I have been googling all these terms and it leads to be either air pocket oor a stuck thermostat. When I bought the car in 05, within 2 months the waterpump was replaced so I am hoping that is not the issue. I am sorry for being long winded, but I figure it is beter to have too much than 2 little.

HotZ28
01-27-2008, 09:08 PM
I thought the air pocket might have been released. The air pocket can not be released unless you open the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing, and follow the bleed process. In order for the system to stabilize, you may have to add coolant to the radiator, several times after it cools down. Adding coolant to the reservoir will not solve this problem until the air is bled out.
Would this have had to come out when they did the manifold gasket.NO!

redrage
01-27-2008, 09:19 PM
The air pocket can not be released unless you open the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing, and follow the bleed process. In order for the system to stabilize, you may have to add coolant to the radiator, several times after it cools down. Adding coolant to the reservoir will not solve this problem until the air is bled out.
NO!

Thanks

I know there are 2 valves, the question is, the one on the passenger side has the bolt stripped where it wont come undone. I know for a fact because I brought it up to the dealer, and I am pretty sure they did noting with that side. The one on the drivers side is a simple screw. Will doing just one suffice........Also by what I described does it sound like an air pocket or do you think something else........Alsoat cold should the overflow tank be filled to almost the top.......I did empty it out and tested to see if coolant was going in or circulating in there. I know after the fact the coolant that was in there when I left it full was still cold so something tells me nothing is going in or out

HotZ28
01-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Also by what I described does it sound like an air pocket or do you think something else. This does sound like air in the system.

Also at cold should the overflow tank be filled to almost the top.
No, it should be filled only to the “Cold” level. You should see two marks on the reservoir, hot & cold.
The one on the drivers side is a simple screw. Will doing just one suffice. If you do it several times with a pause in between, it may work. Again, you still need to take the radiator cap off and add coolant to the radiator when the engine is cold and before starting! Do this until the radiator is full, each time!

redrage
01-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks again.

Accept for that one time , the coolant level has stayed the same. I did drain the reservoir out, but I figure I better put it back to the level they gave the vehicle back to me at or they might think I was tampering and charge me to check it. But they might have filled it to the top because they knew there still could be air and it would automatically pull it out

Just so I get this straight if I do it myself.

I add coolant until the radiator is full. I then start the car leaving the cap off with the one bleeder valve open.......

I have read and seen so many different ways, I dont know anymore. I am taking it back to the dealer to have them check so it might be a mute point anyways. I am just worried and they tell me if it is nothing and then I will be on my own.

This whole ordeal with the heating system has cost me up to 1400-1500 bucks and I am afraid the next thing to go will be the HG.

I did look for the COld/Hot level on the overflow tank, but I could see nothing. I am pretty sure it holds close to a gallon, if I cant see it, approximately where is the cold level at, about a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4.

If the system is working correctly, does the overflow constantly have coolant circulating thru it or is it just there in case it needs to pull some out. I ask this because if it is suppose to be constantly circulating, I check a little bit after it is turned off and it is cold.

redrage
01-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Well the dealer took the car today and I guess she was being stubborn because they had it all day, they wanted to make sure before I got it back. But I guess that must have been a good air pocket because they added another quart and all was ok. I brought it home and it got cold tonight so I left the hood open for it to get cold quick and then started it up and took it for a drive. The air was cold at 1st but you felt it warming up in about 3 minutes and all worked good. Hopefully there are no more small pockets in it

Add your comment to this topic!