Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

charging Queston for car genius's

musicman181
01-27-2008, 10:06 AM
okay first off its my 95 rs.....i know the alternator was going bad on my car already, got it tested awile ago....but im driving and my car and it started making a clicking noise, but stopped when i engaged the clutch (slightly over heated).... five minutes later it shut off in the road.....i got a jump but it would turn over, but when i engaged first gear, it would jump a few inches, but stilll wouldn't turn all the way.... just to double check, its definetly alternator right??? ......and what tools would i need to pull it, cause i already bought a new one.....oh yeah i cant check it out at autozone, cause my car is still STRANDED AT THE GROCERY STORE LOT!!! thanks fellas

steviek
01-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Well its difficult to say definitively if its the alternator but it sure does sound like it. Your battery has also run out of charge now thats why even with a boost it won't drive. Most cars get a boost and then the alternator begins to recharge your battery. But if your alternator is bad and the battery is dead when you try and start the car as soon as the second power source is gone the car will die again. When your car died did all the lights, stereo and other electrical equipment stop working? Thats the easiest way to tell if its an electrical failure.

JoeShmoe
01-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah sounds like an alternator problem. Although, if your alternator does go bad it can kill your battery. Driving without having your alternator charging your battery, will kill your battery. You won't get far that way.

To replace it, you need a set of wrenchs. Can't remember what sizes, but they are all metric. You have to go under the car and take off two or three screws the hold it in place.

musicman181
01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
thanks fellas, i dont have a stereo in, but my lights inside and out work as normal, except when i lose charge after tryin to crank so much! really ppreciate it guys....what kind of tools and tips do you think i will need to pull this thing tomorrow??

steviek
01-27-2008, 10:27 PM
well the lights don't need as much electricity as it requires to start the car. SO if they do die eventually then the battery is def dead cause batteries always seem to have a little juice but never enough for what you want to do (cough digital camera bats dying and not working when in anything else they work fine in.)
as for getting at the alternator. I know what its like on 4g63 but no experience on the 420a maybe someone else can help you there.

JoeShmoe
01-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Not hard at all. Now I remember, its only two bolts to take it off and a third one is used as a tensioner for alternator belt.

First loosen the bottom most bolt, it will allow for movement of the Alt.
Second remove a bolt that is the highest on the alternator, which tightens the tension bolt.
And third, loosen the mechanical tensioner bolt until you can take the alternator off. I think all three have to come off but if you do in the oreder i described it will make the lossenind of the belt alot easier.

92talontsiawd
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM
i think the bolt sizes are like 1/2" or 12mm.. cause i just replaced my alternator belt and thats what i used.. bring a wrench and a socket with and extension for the tensioner bolt.

JoeShmoe
01-28-2008, 01:07 PM
i think the bolt sizes are like 1/2" or 12mm.. cause i just replaced my alternator belt and thats what i used.. bring a wrench and a socket with and extension for the tensioner bolt.

Yeah the 2G 420A alternator uses two sizes. I think 12 and 14mm. Its not hard at all.

musicman181
01-30-2008, 01:30 AM
sorry to bring this back up to the top, but, i tried to pull it yeserday, the problem is....i got the top bolt loose, but the bottom bolt is too stubborn!!! i sprayed some wd40 on it and i let it sit for 5 min but it was still to stubborn, plus there wasnt even much room under there to torque my wrench!!! i dont think a socket would've fit, because the screw extended out too long... what else should i do????, i sprayed it good and im going to try again today!!! i dont wanna pay some mobile mechanic $$$ just to loosen one bolt!!! oh yeah the bottom was a 15mm

JoeShmoe
01-30-2008, 06:27 AM
sorry to bring this back up to the top, but, i tried to pull it yeserday, the problem is....i got the top bolt loose, but the bottom bolt is too stubborn!!! i sprayed some wd40 on it and i let it sit for 5 min but it was still to stubborn, plus there wasnt even much room under there to torque my wrench!!! i dont think a socket would've fit, because the screw extended out too long... what else should i do????, i sprayed it good and im going to try again today!!! i dont wanna pay some mobile mechanic $$$ just to loosen one bolt!!! oh yeah the bottom was a 15mm

Yeah I would sugget you use a wrench and if possible the ones with the ratchet action at the closed end. Anyway, the best I can suggest is putting a wrench to it and then sliding a pipe over it to give you a longer reach and more leverage.

musicman181
01-31-2008, 12:05 AM
i searhed the net but i cant find any help on how to connedt two wreches together to get that extra leverage....any help guys???

Thor06
01-31-2008, 01:29 AM
Yup, just slide a pipe or hollow bar over the end of the socket wrench. Having the same force applied with a longer lever arm increase torque on the bolt. Also I dont want to sound like an ass hole, but make sure you're loosening and not tightening. My buddy and I went to town on one of his lug nuts (he had a 4 way tire iron so we each had a handle, we then put a solid 3' pipe on each side and went at it) but we were accidentally tightening instead of loosening. That was the last time I work on a car that hungover.

JoeShmoe
01-31-2008, 06:28 AM
Yup, just slide a pipe or hollow bar over the end of the socket wrench. Having the same force applied with a longer lever arm increase torque on the bolt. Also I dont want to sound like an ass hole, but make sure you're loosening and not tightening

Exactly!

That was the last time I work on a car that hungover.

Yeah, went almost a year without one of my caliper bolts on my car. The disc looked like it had been raped!!! Had to replace it and the caliper, DON'T DRINK & BE A MECHANIC.

musicman181
02-02-2008, 03:35 AM
sorry fellas, im still having trouble.....it isnt the alternator, or the started, both tested, i guess i'll test the battery tommorrow, but i doubt thats it, cause it never died, lights work fine....what else in addition should i check...which wire connections??? anything please help guys!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!