Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny problems part2.

toofast4u
01-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I have a chevy full size van g20 series. I have just taken out the tranny in my van my buddy thinks it is a 700r4. I talked to a guy on the phone he told me that there is 3 different trannys that can be put in this van. 1. 350 turbo 2.700 r4 3. I cant remember. If it was a 700 r4 and we are trying to put in a 350 is the only thing that needs to be changed is to run a vacuum line. Also would it make a difference if we used the torque converter off of the 700 r4 for the new tranny which is the 350 turbo.

MT-2500
01-27-2008, 10:00 AM
The shape of the transmission oil pan will tell you what transmission it has in it.

Stay with what came out of it and do not be switching converters and stuff like that.
The converters will not intercahange.
Use everything that comes with your used transmission and make sure it is the same type/kind as you took out and get the converter with it..
The only thing to change is the transmission filter and be sure to fluysh the rad cooler before installing new transmission.
Good luck
MT

Ole Sparky
02-06-2008, 02:04 AM
If you really have a 700r4, you have a TV cable which controls the transmission's shifts. Google "700r4 TV cable adjustment"; there are various write-ups around on the internet.

Funny, on my mom's g20, the PO replaced the 700r4 with a mildly built TH400. When I rebuilt the top end, I did not know that. On the first test drive, it had to rev like hell to get it to shift out of first, and slammed into third gear like a freight train. I then carefully adjusted the TV cable - no change. That's when I noticed that it didn't go anywhere. I then noticed that there was a vacuum line running to the side of the trans, and that I had installed the vac modulator valve backwards. D'oh! It's not really that relevant, but this proves that it is most definitely possible to swap a TH400 into a G20, and I imagine a TH350 would be fine also.

Joe

Add your comment to this topic!