Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Questions: long break startup

sLADe781
01-26-2008, 07:19 PM
My car's been sitting in my driveway for about 7 months now and I'm getting ready to get her up for a test run pretty soon.

1-what are some precautionary steps that I have to take since my car's been sitting so long? I know it'll take some time for the fluids to reoil/recirculate everything but other than that, are there certain things to watch out for?

2-how do you clean the fuel injectors? I have 'em off right now so I might as well clean them before installation...anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

liquidPunk
01-28-2008, 04:35 PM
did you put some sort of fuel stabilizer in it? if not then youll need to either siphon out the old gas or run it and change the fuel filter after that tank.

hmm, other than that, make sure to check the tires good, and check the clutch and brakes for the most likely needed bleed. :-)

jason_bet
01-28-2008, 04:51 PM
it was only 7 months.. your probably fine.. I know mine sat for like 2 years and it started and ran fine..

91STT
01-28-2008, 05:17 PM
I like to pull the plug to the crank (CAS) sensor and crank for 15-20 seconds before plugging it back in and starting it. Once started, I do not touch the accelerator for a minute or so. This is what I do, good or bad, who knows but it is what I do. :dunno:

I send my injectors out to be cleaned.

sLADe781
01-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Wassup guys!!! After much time down, I got my babie started tonight!! YAY-YAH!!!! It's only temporary as this is just a test but damn, I miss her SOOO FREAKIN' MUCH!!!! She hesitated the first 3 times--my guess is it's probably because of lack of fuel since I removed the fuel rail. But then on the 4th try, VAH-ROOM...with the crackling noise that I've always had! DOH!!!! Haha

Anyways, lifter tick was LOUD as hell and smoke because of condensation was constantly going but that was expected. Now for the questions:

1-last time I checked my oil level, it wasn't super low but it was "medium" only. Would it be bad that I added more oil to the car and mix it with the crap that's been sitting there for over 7 months now? I would do an oil change but since I have to restrip her probably this weekend, I don't want to change the oil and just have it sitting there to change again when I get her up for good. Thoughts? (running Mobil 1 10w30)

2-how do I check for air leaks? Stupid yes...but I can't tell. I hear a whistling sound and I don't know where it's coming from or if it's one of the belts. I run my hand over the engine area but I can't tell if it's heat rising or if it's an air leak somewhere!?! I'm an SL though so no turbo stuff to complicate things.

3-any other precautionary stuff I should take now? I let her idle for about 15 minutes, turned her off, started her back up and let her run for another 5 minutes and turned her off again. No, I haven't reved the engine at all...saving that for when I'm able to take her out. Hehe But yeah, let me know what else you guys can think of.

Thanks for all the help and support guys....hopefully this is the beginning of the end of this misery... :)

VR43000GT
01-30-2008, 01:28 AM
1) Assuming the oil does not have a lot of miles on it, and still looks decient on the dipstick, it should be fine.

2)As for checking for leaks on an n/a, it shouldn't be too hard. If you have a K&N drop in or other aftermarket filter, the filter tends to cause the air flow to make some noise that can be heard when you pop the hood and are near the intake. Otherwise, if everything is fastened properly, I do not see how there would be an air leak, especially without running boost through there. But, if you are pretty sure there is a leak, you can take a syringe with water in it and put just a little squirt on different spots where the piping connects and see if the water is bubbling or being moved around by leaking air.

3) As for anything else, there is nothing really that comes to mind other than maybe taking it easy during the first part of the first ride to make sure everything is in check.

Congrats on getting it back!

Polygon
01-30-2008, 02:35 PM
it was only 7 months.. your probably fine.. I know mine sat for like 2 years and it started and ran fine..

Yep, GTC has sat two winters and neither time has it needed fuel stabilizer. Started right up came spring.

You tires might have developed a flat spot.

sLADe781
01-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks bro, I'll give that a shot (air leak check). It's unfortunate though that this is only supposed to be a test run as I'll probably have to restrip everything this weekend since the parts need to be redone.

Question: how can chrome be removed? Because the shop is saying that the only way to remove it is if it's acid dipped and I'm not down with that because there's seals inside that will be ruined if acid dipped. Isn't there some type of product that could be applied so that it could be easily sanded off?

Also, I'm currently not using my oil stick because it's been completely chromed and I'm afraid flakes will break and go into my engine. So what I did was cut a piece of shirt and stuck it where the oil stick top was...that should be okay to hold me for a couple runs around the area right?

I'm excited to try her out tonight! :biggrin:

1) Assuming the oil does not have a lot of miles on it, and still looks decient on the dipstick, it should be fine.

2)As for checking for leaks on an n/a, it shouldn't be too hard. If you have a K&N drop in or other aftermarket filter, the filter tends to cause the air flow to make some noise that can be heard when you pop the hood and are near the intake. Otherwise, if everything is fastened properly, I do not see how there would be an air leak, especially without running boost through there. But, if you are pretty sure there is a leak, you can take a syringe with water in it and put just a little squirt on different spots where the piping connects and see if the water is bubbling or being moved around by leaking air.

3) As for anything else, there is nothing really that comes to mind other than maybe taking it easy during the first part of the first ride to make sure everything is in check.

Congrats on getting it back!

sLADe781
01-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Just got back not too long ago from taking my babie out and she felt SOOOO GOOD!!! I didn't run her hard though...4K tops since she was out for so long and I babied her most of the time. But just being in there and feeling how solid she is (as opposed to my sister's Eclipse) just felt so right. LOL It tears me to know I have to take her apart again...DOH!

Anyways, anyone have an extra plenum with the EGR feature? Because I don't know but we MAY have to start from scratch again because like I said, there is no way that I'm acid dipping my plenum unless if the shop gets me another one. I'm not taking the chance of air leaks!!!

Let me know if you guys know of where I could get one...everyone on 3SI seems to only have the "regular" ones.

Polygon
02-01-2008, 06:22 PM
I have a stock TT plenum that I'm replacing with a new powedercoated one. I don't know when I'd be able to get it off though.

new2mitsu
02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
i cant remember if youre boosted or not. i have a TT one i could sell. lemme kno...

sLADe781
02-01-2008, 07:50 PM
No, unfortunately I'm an NA ('94 SL) so I need the VIC motor and the valves inside the plenum...thanks for the offer though.

If anyone knows anyone with one available let me know.

Thanks again.

jason_bet
02-01-2008, 07:58 PM
yo slade check out the site now.. and let me know if you dont find a used one I will get you the new one

sLADe781
02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
^^Bro, have you been getting my PMs? I PMed you a couple times and got one response from you about you not hearing from me so I'm beginning to wonder if my PMs are going through!?! Weird...

Anyways damn, your site's looking real good!!! Haha Who's designing it for you? It's really coming around! For those who haven't seen it recently, check it out: http://www.pricematchedparts.estoreadvanced.biz/
I just registered. :biggrin:

Oh yeah Jason, I just PMed you again...did it go through this time!?! :uhoh:

jason_bet
02-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Yes sir!! We have a winner!!I got this one IDK what the hell is going on with my PM's.. Maybe cause I have over 700.. does anyone else have a lot of pm's in there box?

Jason

and yeah check it out if you havn't.. starting too look good!! and Jocelynn is doing the web design.. boostedchick on here..

sLADe781
02-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey bro, I PMed you with a new order...let me know if you got it or not!?! Thanks.

Yes sir!! We have a winner!!I got this one IDK what the hell is going on with my PM's.. Maybe cause I have over 700.. does anyone else have a lot of pm's in there box?

Jason

and yeah check it out if you havn't.. starting too look good!! and Jocelynn is doing the web design.. boostedchick on here..

Add your comment to this topic!