Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 quest front brake issue

mcdlnwright
01-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey Guys I have a 2002 Nissan Quest that I have been having some brake issues.

Took it to my local shop and they replaced the fromt brakes but I had allot of brake dust covering my rims. It literally turned them black. They started squeaking when I braked so I took it back and the Guy replaced it again.

But now its something new. My front drivers side tire makes a scraping noise when I'm driving. this just started a few days ago and it seems to lessen and or go away when I hit the brakes.

But the thing is the shop is gone so I was thinking of attempting to fix it myself.

Any word of wisdom here I have no idea where to start. it still brakes fine but the scratching is annoying as heck

way2old
01-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Jack up vehicle and place on jack stands(safety first). Remove the wheel and look at the brake pads. See if there is any play between the pads and rotors. Sounds like the brake pad is not secured and is moving until the piston comes out and presses it against the rotor. It is more than likely something minor. If you can not see any movement, remove the caliper and make sure all the hardware is thewre to subdue the noise.

mcdlnwright
01-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Jack up vehicle and place on jack stands(safety first). Remove the wheel and look at the brake pads. See if there is any play between the pads and rotors. Sounds like the brake pad is not secured and is moving until the piston comes out and presses it against the rotor. It is more than likely something minor. If you can not see any movement, remove the caliper and make sure all the hardware is there to subdue the noise.

I can do that, but how will I know if something is missing? I mean what area should I focus on looking at?

way2old
01-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Click here (http://www.autozone.com/N,14401233//shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm) This shows various pads and the hardware that hold them in place Also look to see if there are rubber bushings on the bolts that sort of look like this (http://www.autozone.com/N,14401922//shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm) I am not a regular over here and not very versed on Nissans. Hopefully some Nissan tech will take over for you.

FixUrNissan
01-29-2008, 10:37 AM
sounds like your rubbing against the backing plate. take a screw drive after you have wheel off and just walk it around the backing plate working the backign plate away from the rotor , carefull not to bend it to much , just enough to clear the rotor..gl

mcdlnwright
03-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Got the pads replaced they were way down, but now when I'm braking it squeaks sometimes.
if I'm lightly pressing the peddle down the squeak starts but if i press harder it stops. whats up with that?

Add your comment to this topic!