Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Cavalier 2.2l Power Steering Bypass?

nerofmx
01-26-2008, 02:24 PM
So i just put a brand new head on my car, but in the process, we broke the outgoing line on the power steering pump. So last night, it heated up so much, the pulley blew off. this is about the 5th time ive had to do maintenance to the power steering in the past 3 months, and to be honest, i dont even care about power steering.

So i was wondering if anyone knows of a place to tell me how to route the belt where i dont have power steering. i would also like it to route to have no A/C since i will be taking this out too.

jakegday
01-26-2008, 04:49 PM
you can get a bypass pulley for the a/c, you can also get a shorter belt to bypass the a/c, as far as the power steering goes ive never heard of anyone wanting to do this, no matter how you do it though im sure it would jsut be cheaper to replace the line you broke, maybe buy a power steering pump and take the guts out of it....

yhandor
02-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Why would you want to get rid of power steering? Crazy.

yhandor
02-01-2008, 05:29 PM
It's like me, I've blown 4 engines, screw it I'm going to get a bypass for my engine. Power steering is factory and really can't be removed without lots of problems.

tigheballado
03-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Hey I've been driving my car without power steering for over a year and have made no effort to replace it due to the fact I'm not a pussy. I would also like to know how to bypass it due to power steering pulley bearing busting.:banghead:

Tech II
03-23-2014, 08:24 AM
You may not be a pussy, but in an emergency situation where you might have to swerve quickly to miss something, then you will have a problem....and you can never lend your car to anyone......hey, that might not be a bad idea....

By the way, check the date on when this was last posted....Six years!

Add your comment to this topic!