Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

temp not reaching 195

clayduke
01-26-2008, 12:33 PM
I have a 2002 3.8 impala and the temp only reaches the mark below the center of the temp guage. I'm assuming thats 185. I put in a stant 195 thermostat(the cheap 4.00 one) and the temp was the same. I changed that one to a stant super stat and the temp is still the same. I recently changed the coolant but didnt backflush or use any prestone superflush. Could the radiator cap need replacing or do I need to back flush the heater core? The 2 hoses going to the heater core are very hot. The upper radiator hose is hot also. When I release the radiator cap when its hot there is coolant that squirts into the overflow tank. Thanks for any help you guys can give . Lots of great info out here!!:)

inafogg
01-26-2008, 12:55 PM
hello is there a problem(w/heat) or just a concern with the gauge readings???
if heat is a problem i'd make sure dash controls are working properly & the air is being directed through heater core...good luck

clayduke
01-26-2008, 01:50 PM
thanks for responding INAFOGG. there is heat but not as hot as it used to be. all of the dash guages work and like I said the temp gauge is about 185. the heater hoses are very hot to the touch . also when i switch the vent control from defrost to heat and then to the upper vents on the dash, everything changes as it should. the only thing is when I crank the fan to 5 , the blower sounds like its spinning fast but the force of the air coming out doesnt seem that powerful . seems there should be more force compared to the sound of the blower. thanks again

j cAT
01-27-2008, 12:05 PM
thanks for responding INAFOGG. there is heat but not as hot as it used to be. all of the dash guages work and like I said the temp gauge is about 185. the heater hoses are very hot to the touch . also when i switch the vent control from defrost to heat and then to the upper vents on the dash, everything changes as it should. the only thing is when I crank the fan to 5 , the blower sounds like its spinning fast but the force of the air coming out doesnt seem that powerful . seems there should be more force compared to the sound of the blower. thanks again

your problem with heater operation is a plugged heater core where the air passes inside the air ducts or somewhere in there like fan blades etc. hoses hot but not enough volume of hot air coming out.your temp gauge is off slightly this is because it is defective or it is unable to pick up correct temp because its covered with coolant goo/sludge......also if it is very cold out the guage temp sensor may not read as high......at 185f you should get enough heat to cook your toes well done......with the fan on high one hose should be hot the other cooler because fan is reducing the temp of returning coolant!

clayduke
01-27-2008, 01:06 PM
thanks for the response jcat. i may have to flush the system better this time . especially the heater core.

inafogg
01-27-2008, 01:19 PM
hey clay you say air distribution works fine...how about when you change from cold to hot???you should hear this rather easy maybe air being directed is'nt going through heater core. just something else to check..... good luck

clayduke
01-27-2008, 02:12 PM
thanks fogg. Will check next outing. i'll post findings later

clayduke
01-28-2008, 11:24 PM
hey fogg, the air is much stronger when I switch from hot to cold. and it does get cold. the heat isnt too bad. but the gauge still is below where it used to be. could it be the temp sensor??

inafogg
01-29-2008, 12:26 PM
hey clay i think sensor is ok but its possible dash gauge is off a little.it also could be normal if its real cold!! you can always put a thermometer in radiator

clayduke
01-29-2008, 05:06 PM
thanks fogg for the info. appreciate your input!

Add your comment to this topic!