1997 Plymouth Voyager (back-up light doesn't work when in reverse gear)

Krazy Jeff
01-26-2008, 02:16 AM
Problem: Back-Up lights don't work in Reverse Gear.

Okay, my current issue with my van is that the back-up lights don't work when in reverse gear. I would have never of noticed it, until a friendly Samaritan, actually came by and told me when I was backing out of a parking lot at a busy parking lot.

Checked and Tested OK:

Fuse in Junction Block: (OK): I checked the fuse (#12) 10A inside the Junction Block (underneath instrument panel of the the driver side) and it's good. I even tested it with a continuity tester (and it's fine) and even replaced it with a known good one (brand new)--just in case.
Rear Lamps: (OK): Both lamps in the back are OK. Tested with a continuity (multi-meter) tester. I even unscrewed the sockets and replaced them with the other ones (brake lights/parking lights since they are all the same) All worked in the other sockets, but the reverse socket no power (but Ground is good).Not Tested:
I have not tested (because I really don't know what it looks like or where it is) either the "Transmission Range Sensor" or the "Park/Neutral Position Switch" as it's illustrated in the electrical diagram for the back-up light system in my Haynes Repair Manual.

I also want to inform you that it seems that I could have either the sensor or switch above depending whether my vehicle has the "EAT" or not--which I have not clue what that is abbreviated for. What is the "EAT"? So depending if I have that or not, I could have either the sensor or switch that I have mentioned above.

Please view the following PDF that I have linked below to see the electrical diagram to understand what I am looking at for the device that seems to be between the Junction Block and Back-Up Lamps.

Click here to download the Electrical Diagram for the back-up light system (http://rapidshare.com/files/145077384/1997_plymouth_voyager_back-up_light_system.pdf.html)

Please help. Thanks.

icansteve
01-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I had a same problem for 97 voyager 3.0 with 3 speed tranny.
It was a Neutral Safty Switch which is located on the tranny. You can get it from under once you jack the car up. The job was quite straitforward and took me 10 minutes. I spent CDN $18.
Simply disconnet a cable attached it and remove the old switch and replace with a new one.
You need 2" socket to do this job. That's it.

Good luck.

Cntrysthbst
01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I would disconnect the battery negative before you do this to prevent damage to the new P/N switch. :)

whitewing3
02-02-2008, 12:14 AM
You have probably solved this problem by now, but EAT is the acronym for Electronic Automatic Transmission which in '97-'98 models is the 41TE electronically controlled 4-speed transaxle. On this transmission, the backup light circuit is powered through fuse #12 and then through the Transmission Range Sensor (TSR) which is mounted in the transmission on top of the valve body. You must drop the pan and valve body to replace this sensor. This is a multifunction sensor and costs ~$35 from trans parts suppliers. Note that your local public library may have the Mitchell Manuals on the shelf, providing all the detailed wiring and rebuilding specs and procedures for most import and domestic vehicles.

Krazy Jeff
02-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I had a same problem for 97 voyager 3.0 with 3 speed tranny.
It was a Neutral Safty Switch which is located on the tranny. You can get it from under once you jack the car up. The job was quite straitforward and took me 10 minutes. I spent CDN $18.
Simply disconnet a cable attached it and remove the old switch and replace with a new one.
You need 2" socket to do this job. That's it.

Good luck.
Thank you. Your instructions were right on the money. My 97 Voyager is a 3 speed tranny and it was the "Neutral Safety Switch" that was causing the malfunction. It was a breeze to replace it. Thanks. Now I can backout of a busy parking lot and not worry that they can't see me.

Here are pics to locate this Neutral Safety Switch. Just follow the Red Arrows:

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1251/engineviewcanister.jpg
Front of Van.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9908/neutralsafetyswitch.jpg
Location of switch on the Transmission.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3404/switch.jpg
The new replacement "Neutral Safety Switch".

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6695/backlight.jpg
The back lights work!!!

Krazy Jeff
02-05-2008, 12:00 AM
I updated my last reply above to include pictures--hopefully it helps someone else if they ever have this issue with their Voyager.

Shawn1983
05-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Hello im have the same issue,for my 1996 Plymouth Voyager.

I have checked the fuse, it was good.
I have replaced the Park/Neutral Position Switch still no luck.

"Rear Lamps: (OK): Both lamps in the back are OK. Tested with a continuity (multi-meter) tester. I even unscrewed the sockets and replaced them with the other ones (brake lights/parking lights since they are all the same) All worked in the other sockets, but the reverse socket no power (but Ground is good)."

^^^^Also tried that as he posted above^^^

Any ideas?

Krazy Jeff
05-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Hello im have the same issue,for my 1996 Plymouth Voyager.

I have checked the fuse, it was good.
I have replaced the Park/Neutral Position Switch still no luck.

"Rear Lamps: (OK): Both lamps in the back are OK. Tested with a continuity (multi-meter) tester. I even unscrewed the sockets and replaced them with the other ones (brake lights/parking lights since they are all the same) All worked in the other sockets, but the reverse socket no power (but Ground is good)."

^^^^Also tried that as he posted above^^^

Any ideas?
Since yours is a 1996 model, and by looking at the Electrical Diagram that I provided above in my first post (see link for download). It seems that your system doesn't have a fuse. It seems it should turn on as soon as you are in the Run position on the ignition switch. You should see if maybe the black/orange wire is making good contact on the ignition switch. See Diagram to learn more about this "black/orange" wire.

I hope this helps.

skyking1488
09-13-2008, 07:32 AM
could you post it again it a dead link Electrical Diagram for the back-up light system, i also have the same thing too the back up light dont work. its a 96. (http://danceusapro.com/images/1997_Plymouth_Voyager/electrical/1997_plymouth_voyager_back-up_light_system.pdf)

Krazy Jeff
09-13-2008, 08:58 PM
could you post it again it a dead link Electrical Diagram for the back-up light system, i also have the same thing too the back up light dont work. its a 96.
Link is working now. Hope it helps.

Add your comment to this topic!