Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brand New to MR2's and I am going to purchase one- need advice.

blazzingbrandon
01-25-2008, 09:34 PM
I currently have a Toyota 4Runner and plan on puchasing a MR2 for the summer.

Its a 2000 MR2 for $7000 out the door. It has 162,000 miles and is yellow. Regular cloth seats and no dents or scratches anywhere, garage kept. Here is link to the site:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?car_id=234253958&dealer_id=360711&car_year=2001&sort_type=mileageDESC&cardist=25

Can anyone advise me if you think this is a good deal? What should I look out for? Was 2000 a good model year? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

nickleyw@yahoo.com
01-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Maybe it's just me, but 7 G's for any car with more than 150k on it seems a little steep... even if it is an mr2 :tongue:

If I were you, I'd keep looking... 7 grand can go a pretty long way, if you're patient.

As for knowing anything about the new mr2 spyders, I don't know much.

If you can afford another 1K, here's one to look at:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=236457933&dealer_id=61765449&car_year=2001&model=MR2SPYDR&num_records=&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&make=TOYOTA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=43210&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=90

^^1 year newer, about half the milage... much better deal.

I'd say if you're gonna want this car in the summer, only good things can come from waiting to find the right deal!

eckoman_pdx
02-04-2008, 01:43 AM
When getting a new car, obviously take it for a test drive. Make sure it shifts smooth, make sure the clutch doesn't slip, that the brakes don't grind or vibrate when stopping. When driving, try and see if smoke comes out the tail pipe. If so, what color. Checking the brakes and making sure the pads don't need replacing is a good idea. Check for oil or fluid leaks too. If you can have it done, a compression and leak down test will give you a good idea of where the car's engine is at, health wise.

I'm guessing most of the mileage was freeway driving.

As for price...I looked up KBB, and they say that the dealer retail price around your area for a 2000 MR2 Spyder with 162K on it should be $9360.

As far as private party:
Excellent: $7,650
Good: $6,975

Trade In Value:
Excellent: $6,025
Good: $5,415

Also, I looked and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued no recalls for the 2000 or 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder.

I hope I was a little help!

bryce780
02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
My first question is about what you guys think would be a better way to go for boost. Whether to go with a single or twin turbo, or go with a super charger. I'm already set on the engine I wanna put in it(3S-GTE) but not sure which way would eb more efficient. I do like the look of the supercharger over the turbo because it looks cleaner with less clutter.

eckoman_pdx
02-10-2008, 02:35 AM
My first question is about what you guys think would be a better way to go for boost. Whether to go with a single or twin turbo, or go with a super charger. I'm already set on the engine I wanna put in it(3S-GTE) but not sure which way would eb more efficient. I do like the look of the supercharger over the turbo because it looks cleaner with less clutter.

Start a new thread i nherewith all your questions, and we'll be happy to answer them!!! Click the "new thread" icon at the top of the forum page.

First off...we need to know what year of MR2 do you have, I am guessing it's N/A and an MKI? Let us know:)

Add your comment to this topic!