Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

halfords primer

Aoc13
01-24-2008, 04:06 PM
i got halfords plastic primer .. i hear thats better to use more for the money etc .. anyway can u use the halfords paints with tamiya clear? or do u need to use the halfords clear aswell ? its a really hot clear? much appreciated.

and would that make the tamiya compounds usless or still use those ?

drunken monkey
01-24-2008, 05:54 PM
yes you get more primer for your money but it isn't as fine a grade as the tamiya primer is and as a result it doesn't lay down as flat as tamiya does. What that means is that you end up sanding it more than you would tamiya primer which means more spraying.

In short, yes it's better value but it does mean more work.
Also, there appears to be a very big difference between their regular automotive primers and their plastic primers. General advice, be careful, don't over spray.

Also, a slight problem with the big aerosol cans is that when new, you get good spray but as it empties, there's less pressure. Not always a good thing when you want to lay nice thin coats. Again, this just means more work.

As for the clear.

I've used halfords clear over tamiya paint with no problems.
I haven't used tamiya clear over halfords paint but I have used tamiya paints over halfords paints with no issues.

For the record, nothing else I've tried smells as nice as tamiya ts sprays.
That would indicate that the two are of slightly chemical compositions but as I've said, I've had no bad effects yet.

The compounds will work no matter what and while you in Halford, I recommend picking up a bottle of Autoglym resin polish.

Add your comment to this topic!