Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A few DSMlink Questions

rock0134
01-24-2008, 03:14 PM
I am at the point now of deciding on injector size and a way of tuning. I already have a walbro 190 rewired.

95 percent of you say that DSMlink is the way to go over a safc or other piggybacks. I just need a little clearing up about Link itself...

Where is the best place to buy it from?
What exactly comes with it? (Hardware, Software, other things)
How hard is it to setup and learn how to use?
Is it easy to fuck things up if you aren't familiar yet with tuning?

Anything you guys can help me with I would appreciate a ton, thanks.

Black99GST
01-24-2008, 11:59 PM
I am at the point now of deciding on injector size and a way of tuning. I already have a walbro 190 rewired.

95 percent of you say that DSMlink is the way to go over a safc or other piggybacks. I just need a little clearing up about Link itself...

Where is the best place to buy it from?
What exactly comes with it? (Hardware, Software, other things)
How hard is it to setup and learn how to use?
Is it easy to fuck things up if you aren't familiar yet with tuning?

Anything you guys can help me with I would appreciate a ton, thanks.
alright, best place to buy DSMlink.com (discounts)
what comes with it, a chip, cable, instructions, clutch wire, and a cool box
setup is almost plug and play (just remeber to enter your altitude) VERY user friendly!
EASY as hell if you WANT to fuck things up... just take it slow everything works out GREAT! also, access to DSMlink.com forums helps alot with questions and their are "guides" to beginner tuners... :wink:

rock0134
01-25-2008, 09:23 AM
So you get everything you need from one place in one package?

I remember reading about socketing the eprom or something? is that necessary?

Is the clutch wire for the stutterbox?

DSMLINK.com has this in the FAQ...
- How can I use the 2G version of DSMLink in my '96+ model DSM?

Unfortunately, you'll have to locate a '95 EPROM ECU somewhere. They do show up on various parts traders from time to time and there are junkyards online that sell 'em too. Expect to pay about $150-$300 for one.
Does that mean having a 97 means you have to do that?

spyderturbo007
01-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Yes, you'll need a 2g EPROM out of a '95 to run DSMLink. I got mine as a package on ebay, it included the ECU, cables, software, etc. All for $640. I saw one the other day for $720, but it's probably been sold already.

If you do buy used, email the guys at DSMLink and they will let you know if it's legit or not. To date, though, they haven't found anyone that can copy v2.0. So be careful if you are looking at v1.0 which has been copied if I remember correctly.

EDIT Nevermind, it's still for sale here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-dsmlink-setup-w-1995-eprom_W0QQitemZ330205093356QQihZ014QQcategoryZ294Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). It looks like the seller is offering to pay all the shipping costs and the $50 upgrade fee for v2.0. But I would email them and find out if that's true.

Thor06
01-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I remember reading about socketing the eprom or something? is that necessary?
Yes. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that service is included in the price of the kit. I think you can do it yourself if you are good with a soldering iron or sometimes I think local speed shops can do it.

steviek
01-25-2008, 12:04 PM
they sell the kits with or without the socketing service. It costs a little more to get it socketed and you gotta pay a bit extra to ship too. But its well worth it in my opinion becuase the ECU's are expensive and delicate and you don't want to get fucked before you start.\
and yes the clutch wire is for the stutterbox. Its really easy to do its just one wire spliced into two wires and they show you where you should solder it on a little white printed out card. The only thing that is difficult is its hard to access under your dash near all the foot pedals and shit.

rock0134
01-25-2008, 01:27 PM
That Ebay kit looks pretty legit, he seems honest.

Does it come with the clutch wire for stutterbox too or no?

steviek
01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm sure it will and if it doesn't it is just any regular type of wire prolly about 8 gauge that you could pick up anywhere and do.

Black99GST
01-26-2008, 03:00 AM
get it!!! ITS AWESOME

kjewer1
01-27-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm sure it will and if it doesn't it is just any regular type of wire prolly about 8 gauge that you could pick up anywhere and do.

I'm sure that was supposed to be "18" gauge. The wire is just wire, but there is a diode at the junction that's necessary for proper cruise functionality IIRC. You can just get it from the DSMlink guys, or there may be a diagram on the DSMlink forums to build it yourself. Just wanted to clear that up, carry on. :)

Oh yeah. DSMlink is the balls.

scottsee
01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Some ebay kits are ligit. I bought mine on December 31st 2004 for $399, then a 95 ecu from Car-parts.com for $160 shipped, and sent it all in for socketing (back when dave used to do it) for $35 round trip.

Dsmlink is "balls" but it is a pretty steep learning curve. Especally if you don't have any previous experience in tunning. The Dsmlink forums is the best place to learn, you can get Tom and Dave to give you a read only account by just asking. I was a member for about 6 months before I bought it. When you buy it make sure you are getting the newer version with the OBDII-to-USB or you will need to get a DB9 cable. Belkin works good, I don't remember what Tom and Dave sell but you can get if from there site.

unless you Must have it, You can wait untill ECMlink (v3) comes out sometime this year..

rock0134
01-29-2008, 02:25 PM
So by ordering from Dsmlink.com I need to first find a '95 ecm? I checked car-parts.com for used '95 ecm's and there are quite a few...http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Then I choose to order the dsmlink V2 with socket service for 595?

Then it asks for default chip settings with these...
Injectors:
Idle: rpm
Launch: rpm
Rev limit: rpm
CAS: Invert cam angle signal - What's this?
MAF: Hacked 2G MAF - What's this?

By putting in your injectors size and stock idle, will that ensure that the car drives somewhat normal when you first install the link?

What would you want the launch rpm, rev limit rpm, and the last 2 two be set at? Is the launch rpm for the stutterbox?

scottsee
01-29-2008, 03:45 PM
So by ordering from Dsmlink.com I need to first find a '95 ecm? I checked car-parts.com for used '95 ecm's and there are quite a few...http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Then I choose to order the dsmlink V2 with socket service for 595?

Then it asks for default chip settings with these...
Injectors:
Idle: rpm
Launch: rpm
Rev limit: rpm
CAS: Invert cam angle signal - What's this?
MAF: Hacked 2G MAF - What's this?

By putting in your injectors size and stock idle, will that ensure that the car drives somewhat normal when you first install the link?

What would you want the launch rpm, rev limit rpm, and the last 2 two be set at? Is the launch rpm for the stutterbox?

The socketing service is done to the ECU, so you have to send them your 95 Eprom ecu. The'll socket the board, install the chip, and run a diag on the ECU to make sure there isn't any work needed on it. Pretty good little deal if you ask me.

Those settings are default settings when you disconnect the battery and the ECU resets. 450cc injectors, 750rpm, 5000rpm, 7500rpm are good settings for a good running stock fuel system car.. Inverted CAS is for the 97-99 cars that don't use a 95-96 CAS. So if you have a 97-99 CAS you want that feature.. If you are running a stock MAF then you will not want the hacked MAF option. It's more for the people who have opend up there 1g maf's and removed parts of there honey combs to fool the ecu into allowing more air to enter in the engine while leaning out fuel ratios..

Yes the launch feature is the stutter box on manual dsm's.

george536
01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Dsmlink is well worth it, thats the first thing im ordering with my tax return since my car came with an eprom. I ended getting a chip and socketed my own eprom. Theres a writeup on tuners to how to. But if your not to familiar with sodering dont bother. I would of paid for it to get done if i would of found somewhere local to do it. I didnt want the down time. But im debating to wait for v3. Since im ok with my chip and safc right now.

rock0134
01-29-2008, 05:16 PM
On that car part's site, is every 1995 ecu the same (the one you need for link)?

george536
01-29-2008, 05:25 PM
On that car part's site, is every 1995 ecu the same (the one you need for link)?
its the earlier 95, that are eprom. not all :thumbsup:

rock0134
01-29-2008, 07:55 PM
How can you tell which ones on that site are the earlier eprom ones? should it say specifically?

steviek
01-29-2008, 09:39 PM
no not ALL 95 ecu's were eproms
You need an EPROM ecu you can check which ones are eprom via vfaq

rock0134
02-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Can you get stutterbox without dsmlink? Like if you get safc?
What do you need to do to get it?

kjewer1
02-05-2008, 02:07 AM
You can either get another chip (which requires a socketed EPROM ECU, so you might as well do the right thing and get DSMlink) or run an aftermarket ignition box like the MSD units that have rev limiters. DSMlink provides 3 limits, max rpm limit, launch rpm limit, and shift rpm limit. If you get an ignition box, you'll wire it to the clutch switch and have to use the same RPM for both launching and shifting.

rock0134
02-05-2008, 10:22 AM
hmm, that sounds kind of useless...

Can anyone help me locate a 95 eprom ecu? I looked at that carparts.com site but there are a lot of them and I do not know which ones are eprom and which aren't.

steviek
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I see them for sale on dsmlinkforums all the time. Of course you don't have access but I might still be able to put you in contact with someone. Pm me if you are serious.

Add your comment to this topic!