'99 Mercury Cougar Alarm

dhcoon
01-24-2008, 07:04 AM
My daughter bought a '99 Mercury Cougar at auction and it came with a key that only works in the ignition. Apparently someone changed the ignition lock at some point.

She didn't realize the key didn't work in the door until after she locked it and couldn't get back in. She called a locksmith who got into the car, but now the alarm keeps going off and won't reset. Putting the key in and starting it doesn't stop the alarm. They tried disconnecting / reconnecting the battery, but the alarm keeps going off. The locksmith gave up and said she would have to go to the dealer.

Anyone know how to shut the alarm off? Probably there is some trick.

Thanks

IH-Warranty
02-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Any resolution to this yet?

I'm having a similar problem on a 95 mystique. My son hasn't used his alarm in a while & has lost the key fob. I had the battery out & when I reinstalled it the alarm started going off & now I can't get it to shut off & the car will not start.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

dhcoon
02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
No luck really. My daughter ended up taking it to the dealer. They said they couldn't help because it was some aftermarket security system. She ended up getting a locksmith to make a door key for her.

thomas2197
04-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Those cars use a coded key that turns the alarm off. You have to get one from the dealer. Read your owners manual

Blaiser17
04-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Pull the fuse which goes to the alarm in the interior where the drivers left foot would be. It runs on the same fuse as the power locks though. So it just depends whether you're willing to live without them or not.

Add your comment to this topic!