95 Chevy cranks along time before starting

BHolm
01-23-2008, 08:56 PM
My truck is a 95 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 has the 350 with 230,900 miles on it.
The problem is every time I start it, it turns over more than it should before it starts. It starts every time and has never let me down but I think I should fix the starting problem. The only check engine light that comes on is for the I.A.C. which I replaced cleared the code and the code still comes back.

I also have a 96 Chevy van that has the 305 that does the same thing, but has no engine light. :banghead:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rjeffery
01-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Have the starter tested at a parts store. May be on it's way out.

Sonny01
01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
If it cranks and cranks and then starts then it's not the starter...you have something else going on. When was the last time you gave it a tune-up including plug wires?

BHolm
01-23-2008, 10:43 PM
I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor still didn't fix the problem.

muff34
01-24-2008, 04:04 AM
did you do the fuel filter? get your fuel pressure checked

Sonny01
01-24-2008, 11:36 AM
You should have a TBI engine in your truck...have you taken the top of the throttle body off to see if it's getting fuel from the injectors?

j cAT
01-24-2008, 01:36 PM
My truck is a 95 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 has the 350 with 230,900 miles on it.
The problem is every time I start it, it turns over more than it should before it starts. It starts every time and has never let me down but I think I should fix the starting problem. The only check engine light that comes on is for the I.A.C. which I replaced cleared the code and the code still comes back.

I also have a 96 Chevy van that has the 305 that does the same thing, but has no engine light. :banghead:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
because you mentioned iac, i would very carefully check all engine componets including intake manifold for vacuum leaks it sounds as if engine is not getting rich enough mixture to start fast. just because you find a leak do not stop looking /testing for vac. leaks............propane works good to find leaks. don't use carb cleaner on rubber parts or electronics as it will damage them...........

J-Ri
01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
If you cycle the key a few times (primes the fuel pump) will it start normally? The check valve in the fuel pump could be bad, letting the fuel drain out of the system. When checking the fuel pressure, let it sit a while and see if the pressure drops off.

BHolm
01-25-2008, 11:38 AM
I did change the fuel filter and checked for fuel pressure everything seems good. If I turn the key forward and let the pump run it still cranks for a long time. Other than the truck cranking for a long time it runs perfect just can't seem to figure it out. If there was a vacuum leak would that cause the check engine light to keep coming on at idle with the code being IAC? It seems to idle perfect.

G.A.S.
01-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Is there a cold start sensor on this truck? I dont know, I am asking.
My sons 95 pulled this stunt and it was something to do with a cold start sensor telling the computer it was 105 outside.
My neighbor had the opsoite problem, just like yours, it was that same sensor.
telling the computer that it was like -37 below. It was 75 outside. It was not getting enough fuel so it took three-four times of cranking then it was fine untill it sat for a while.
just a thought.

J-Ri
01-25-2008, 03:46 PM
If there was a vacuum leak would that cause the check engine light to keep coming on at idle with the code being IAC? It seems to idle perfect.

Yes. A vacuum leak lets air in. If it is the right size leak, the IAC valve may be closed and it could be running fine. Check the IAC counts with a scan tool.

Add your comment to this topic!