gas gauge fluctuation

HOslotcar
01-23-2008, 07:54 PM
My gas gauge fluctuates from e to 1/2 to f the 3/4 then 1/2 and is never constantly still. 2001 Monte SS

edson4433
01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Comes with age. We all become a little less acurate as we get older. I would be more concerned if you ran out of gas and it still said you had a 1/2 tank.

16th hippy
01-25-2008, 01:46 AM
either a ground issue with sender, bad sender, or bad gauge in cluster are my first guesses.

youngnwiaguy
02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
My car is doing this too, It just started doing it a few weeks ago. The problem with mine though is when I speed up, my gas gage goes up, when I slow down or are driving at a constant speed, the gas gage goes back to normal but takes a while. It is driving me nuts. I always reset my trip odometer everytime I get gas so I have an idea of how much gas I have but I knew I was getting low this morning and all the way to work it said I had 3/4 of a tank and then as I got closer, it went down and my low fuel light came on.

I logged in here to type up a question about this and found somone else has the same problem. Hope we can figure this out.

My Monte is a 2002 SS with 91K miles.

'97ventureowner
02-08-2008, 11:32 AM
A similar problem is currently being discussed in the Venture forum: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=886127 . Check out post #8 for a possible solution from GM. It is a common issue on many GM vehicles manufactured prior to the 2007 model year. A lot of it has to due with sulfur that is in today's "modern" fuels and causes corrosion with the sending unit, disrupting electrical continuity.

Add your comment to this topic!