Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Any mechanical changes between 99 &05?

paprius4030
01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
We have a 99 extended Chevy Venture that we love but it's starting to show some wear and tear since it has 197,000 mi. on it now. Mechanically it's perfect but the interior is showing it's age and rust has popped up again on the rocker panels under the sliding doors and corrorsions starting under the hood. These seem to be common problems. Does anybody know if these issues are addressed in later years and if there were any other changes made in the latter years. I know about the updated manifold gaskets starting in 02. I looked at an 04 and was surprised to see a rust streak already on one of the rocker panels. Does anybody know if it does any good to get something like that Ziebart rustproffing like they use to do in the old days LOL, if i found an 04 or 05 Venture that had no signs of rust forming? appeciate anybody's ideas

'97ventureowner
01-23-2008, 11:33 PM
The Venture basically remained the same throughout it's production run save for cosmetic changes inside and out. I think the latter years are still fairly new to be showing any signs of rust,( mine really started getting bad about 7 years into ownership.) I don't think the rust problem has been addressed, and the farther north you go in the States, the earlier the rust will appear mainly due to the use of road salt in the winter. Those in the South may remain rust free for many years. Aftermarket rust and corrosion protection is one way to go. I had to get rid of one of my Ventures back in '06 because of excessive rust on the frame which wouldn't pass the state's safety inspection. I then purchased an '06 Chevrolet Uplander and went to my local Ziebart for their services in an attempt to delay what happened to the Venture from happening to the Uplander. The only problem I can see up front is the initial cost for their services is somewhat high and you have to take the vehicle back for a yearly inspection and reapplication of any materials if needed at your own cost. I'm due for mine soon and I don't look forward to how much it may be. But if the vehicle remains rust free and I get many more yearsout of it than the Venture, then it may be worth it:dunno:.

Add your comment to this topic!