Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My new Rotors!

0-60IN2
01-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Here are some pics of my new rotors!!!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd225/EclipseGSX/IMG_0152.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd225/EclipseGSX/IMG_0153.jpg

Black99GST
01-22-2008, 11:33 PM
why do they look gold?

0-60IN2
01-22-2008, 11:34 PM
They just are a gold/bronzie color?

Thor06
01-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Did you get them on eBay? I think some of those eBay places will coat them in zinc (?) stuff which will wear off where the pad touches, but it will keep the parts of the rotor that arent on the friction surface from rusting.

SilvrEclipse
01-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Zinc coated rotors are silver. These rotors are Cadmium coated which you can get in gold or silver.

Slotted rotors will eat brake pads up real quick.

JoeShmoe
01-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Slotted rotors will eat brake pads up real quick.

Makes sense, how much quicker? Also having the RS, rather than a full brake kit upgrade, would slotted and drilled be ok for mine?

david-b
01-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Those don't look like there were any kind of coating done to them.

I got mine off ebay and zinc coated in Silver. Had them over a year now and they're still just as bright. No ware-off on them at all.

And it won't make a difference unless needing to use the brakes really quick. Drilled/slotted keeps the rotors cooler and dissipates heat quicker.

SilvrEclipse
01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
While drilled and slotted rotors help dissapate heat, the slots act like razors and shave the brake pads. This is needed for cars that are extremely hard on the brakes and the pads glaze, the slots will shave that off giving you your stopping power back.

I ran slotted and drilled rotors with hawk HPS pads. In 2 years (20k miles) the front pads hit the wear indicators. The rear had very little wear on them but got replaced anyways.

If your still not convinced then why do you think some high end cars come with drilled rotors... I have never seen a car come with slotted rotors.

JoeShmoe
01-23-2008, 01:59 PM
If your still not convinced then why do you think some high end cars come with drilled rotors... I have never seen a car come with slotted rotors.

You got a point there.

MazdaX
01-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Makes sense, how much quicker? Also having the RS, rather than a full brake kit upgrade, would slotted and drilled be ok for mine?

Depends on the brake pad material..you definently don't want to run OEM pads on a slotted / drilled rotor. I've been runnin cross drilled & slotted rotors on my 04' Mazda 6 for about 6 months but i also put on ceramic pads and I haven't noticed a decrease in braking at all.

vanilla gorilla
01-23-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't like drilled rotors. I only use slotted

SilvrEclipse
01-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Depends on the brake pad material..you definently don't want to run OEM pads on a slotted / drilled rotor. I've been runnin cross drilled & slotted rotors on my 04' Mazda 6 for about 6 months but i also put on ceramic pads and I haven't noticed a decrease in braking at all.

I ran Hawk semi-metalic pads. The slots dont decrease braking they just shorten the life of your pads.

MazdaX
01-24-2008, 12:19 AM
I ran Hawk semi-metalic pads. The slots dont decrease braking they just shorten the life of your pads.

i've only known a couple people who've run HAWKS pads and they complained about premature wear indicator noises..is it common amongst hawk pads or that particular composite material ?

vanilla gorilla
01-24-2008, 12:36 AM
I like my hawk pads. They dont make any noise at all. But my home boy has them on his camaro, they squeel some but he has a more aggressive compound pad

Thor06
01-24-2008, 01:06 AM
I too run Hawks but with OEM rotors and I like them just fine. Oh, and I have the 2g AWD "big" brakes. IMO unless you are going to be autox'ing or racing some other sort of street course, theres no reason to go with slotted, dimpled, drilled, whatever. Though it cant be all that common, I've heard of altered rotors cracking and breaking and I dont care how small of a shot it is, thats whats keeping them off of my car. Besides, I baby my Talon, I'd get no use of the extra stopping power.

SilvrEclipse
01-24-2008, 06:10 AM
I actually hated my Hawk pads. I had no noise with them but they almost had to much braking power. They liked to lock up the tires if you hit them quick which is not a good thing. And they had to get warm before they actually braked well.

Add your comment to this topic!