Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3000GT VR4 Tranny

Marvin Kusik
01-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm new to this, so if if I'm not doing this right, sorry.
I have a '91 VR4 GETRAG tranny without a 4th gear. No unusual noises, just nothing when I go to 4th. I thought I could tear it down and check it out, but I can't get the thing apart!! I have every bolt that I can see removed, but the cover only moves about 1/2" before it stops. I'm getting desperate; the crowbar/sledgehammer is looking better all the time. Has anyone torn one of these down? What's the trick?

new2mitsu
01-22-2008, 10:44 PM
havent really opened mine up, but u could try that. if you mess anything up, i have one that i could sell you. shifts good, just needs one sycro.

liquidPunk
01-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Are you just talking about the end cover that covers the 5th gear? (located on the passenger side of the tranny). If so then there is a little nub that holds it on even after you undo all the bolts, mostly you need to tap it with a hammer and then wiggle the end off. Be carefull not to lose the spring located just inside it.

DCIV
01-23-2008, 08:49 AM
if your trying to take the bellhousing off there is a shifter that has to come out first. Thats really the only way I would take a tranny apart.

Coop

Linebckr49
01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
if ur removing the end cover, be sure to remove the allen bolt from under the circular plastic cover.

Stealthee
01-23-2008, 09:07 PM
If you want to take the trans apart you have to start at the end case. It wont come apart the other way.

Theres a few guides for tearing one apart online. You just have tio find the guides.

Crackhedbob341
01-23-2008, 09:32 PM
I have a link to the repair manuals for 1st/2nd generation 3/S. Let me know if you are interested.

Marvin Kusik
01-23-2008, 10:37 PM
if ur removing the end cover, be sure to remove the allen bolt from under the circular plastic cover.

Thanks so much! I found the plug under about two layers of paint and gunk. I assume you just dig it out with a knife or scribe?

DCIV
01-24-2008, 10:18 AM
If you want to take the trans apart you have to start at the end case. It wont come apart the other way.

Theres a few guides for tearing one apart online. You just have tio find the guides.

stealthee let me get something strait? Your saying that when the tranny is off I cant tear it apart from the bellhousing? I hope your not saying that because taking it apart from the bellhousing is exactly the way I took, and have, my tranny apart. I know the directions on an NA says to start with the end case and move forward but my tt tranny I just took apart from the bellhousing.

Coop

Stealthee
01-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Ahh, I was thinking of the NA trans.

Linebckr49
01-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks so much! I found the plug under about two layers of paint and gunk. I assume you just dig it out with a knife or scribe?

ya, just dig it out from the edge. it will eventually pop out. the allen bolt is large, i wanna say 8 or 10mm, if i remember correctly. you'll have to get an allen socket attachment for a breaker bar, then you'll have enough leverage to break the allen bolt loose.

here is the AWD transmission manual http://stealth316.com/misc/3S_AWD_trans_service_manual.pdf. pages 33-36 show how to remove the rear cover.

Stealthee
01-26-2008, 12:14 AM
The early 1g Getrags allen bolts are tiny. It was 25 splines (I beleive)that got the larger bolt.

Marvin Kusik
02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
ya, just dig it out from the edge. it will eventually pop out. the allen bolt is large, i wanna say 8 or 10mm, if i remember correctly. you'll have to get an allen socket attachment for a breaker bar, then you'll have enough leverage to break the allen bolt loose.

here is the AWD transmission manual http://stealth316.com/misc/3S_AWD_trans_service_manual.pdf. pages 33-36 show how to remove the rear cover.

You've been a big help! The bolt on mine was a TORX drive. The number on the bit was 45.... got the tranny all apart now and am looking for syncros for 3rd and 4th, think I found some in Las Vegas for about $100 each..is that the going price? Also thanx for the link, lots of good info.

jason_bet
02-06-2008, 09:23 AM
where in vegas did you find them?

Jason

Marvin Kusik
02-08-2008, 09:01 PM
where in vegas did you find them?

Jason

http://www.drivetrain.com/mitsubishikm4_5spFWD.html
I did a search for W5MG1 parts..came up with the site in Vegas called Drive Line Service of Las Vegas, that's the link above. They list a complete rebuild kit for the W5MG1 w/transfer case for $533.84, contains bearings, gaskets, seals,etc...however syncros are sold separately.

Linebckr49
02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
supercar engineering sells a lot of AWD Transmission parts

http://supercar-engineering.com/sc2/index.php?cPath=4&osCsid=711d499b0d7cac05180ecae4dfe4f54b

Add your comment to this topic!