Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Eclipse driver side lower balljoint broke

fifty5chevy
01-22-2008, 09:35 PM
I was driving at about 10 mph while making a right turn, and the car suddenly dropped about 4 inches. The front wheel was at a 30 degree verticle angle. The axle or strut did not break, I had the car flatbed towed back to my house by towtruck. No unusual noises were heard prior to this, then I read there was a RECALL on this, the Driverside lower control arm balljoint dries out prematurely, its supposedly a factory new installation problem, as new from the MITS Japan factory when the car was being assembled. Is this true? > thanks for the reply !

david-b
01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
There is a recall on the control arm balljoints. The dealers are required to perform this recall. Take it in and get it done. If you need to get the car fixed before you get it to the dealer, get the work done and then take it to the dealer. They have to reimburst you if the problems was the joint and they basically pay for the work done. Does take a little while though.

MazdaX
02-02-2008, 04:13 AM
My ex-girlfriend had a similar problem..ball joint drying up prematurely...I guess thats why they make KY lol..

But good luck with your recall fix , keep us posted.

JoeShmoe
02-03-2008, 07:25 PM
How can you tell if it was replaced by the factory? Besides a carfax...

MazdaX
02-03-2008, 08:55 PM
How can you tell if it was replaced by the factory? Besides a carfax...

If something was recalled or offered a warranty replacement even if the car is out of warranty then the VIN # works just like a SSN # for the car. Whatever the dealer ship and any shop worth taking the car to will jot down the vin and store it in their systems. So if you go to the mitsubishi dealership with your car and ask about recalls and replacements , they take your VIN and look it up and see if it has already been fixed or not.

JoeShmoe
02-03-2008, 08:59 PM
By law they have to fix it right?

david-b
02-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Ya they HAVE to fix it. And as stated above, by calling the dealer and giving the VIN they can tell you if it's been done or not.

JoeShmoe
02-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm going to look up all the recalls on the site that Killa provided us.:grinyes:

Luke Home
02-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Does other makes have this recall?
Does the 1997 Eagle Talon?

MazdaX
02-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Does other makes have this recall?
Does the 1997 Eagle Talon?

You can call your dealership with your VIN# and ask them what all recalls have been or need to be performed.

Add your comment to this topic!