Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How much? Renault 5

CER1389
01-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi.
This is my first post on here (I joined specially to post this!).
I have recently been given a 1988 renault 5 campus. It's been in a garage for its entire life. It's in immaculate condition (when it passed its MOT with flying colours, the mechanic said it still had the original green paint on the brake pipes (?) and everything underneath was original. He couldn't even find anything to advise me on. He was gobsmacked).
all the interior is also immaculate. It's also fully taxed with only 28,000 miles. I'm its 3rd owner and still have its original recipt plus all its old tax discs!
My dilema is that I have it insured as being worth £300. My dad told me I was being optimistic and it's probably worth £100 max. However a few people have since said to me that one in such good condition is collectable and worth up to or over £4k !?!
Can anyone give me a valuation for a renault 5? I like the car, and will happily learn to drive in it. However if it is worth a significant amount of money then I would sell - I'm off to uni in September and something like £4k could not be turned down. And even if it's not, it would be nice to know if I've under or over valued it for my insurance so I can make amendments.
Thank you so much for you help.
Crumble.

CivicRacerX
04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Your insured value is probably a little low. I don't think the car is worth 4k but I have seen pristine examples of the R5 go for a few thousand. It would be worth a little more if it was from the previous generation of the R5. Points against your particular car include the fact that you are the 3rd owner, not the original, but the low mileage and condition (if it truly is immaculate) are certainly in your favor. To the average buyer, the car is probably only worth a few hundred pounds, but to an interested collector I bet it could fetch 2k. The trick? Finding that collector. Good luck!

auTHOMobilia
11-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi,
I would advise you to contact a Renault 5 user group or club.
1988 seems to be for a Super5, the second generation. A first generation Renault 5 is entering collectible status, and can command some thousands. I don't know for the Super5 generation, best is to ask a specialized club.
See you,
Thom

Add your comment to this topic!