Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

About myself...

Geez
02-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Yes, I know there's a section for this on the main index... but I won't be on the main index ever. I've tried to find stuff and have general chats on the main board of this site, but it's just not very personable. I have another forum for that (ask me what it is if you want to know, I won't shamelessly spam it...) :D So I'll be dropping in here once and a while, but not the rest of the site.

I'm 21, getting back into building models after a 5 year hiatus. I've successfully built 7 or 8 models, only to have them become a 7 or 8 model wrecking yard after my mom (who I love dearly) managed to drop the display cabinet they were in and send them all to horrific deaths.

I'm into the imports, pre-49 street rods, some muscle cars, and JGTC type race-cars.

Anyway, this is starting to sound like a personal ad, so I'll quit.

What kind of models do you normally build?

SuPeRcAr_MaN
02-21-2003, 03:17 PM
First of all, welcome to AF. I almost cried reading the part about your mom dropping your models. I know I would've been pissed. Did you happen to take any pictures of these models before they met their death?

Geez
02-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by SuPeRcAr_MaN
First of all, welcome to AF. I almost cried reading the part about your mom dropping your models. I know I would've been pissed. Did you happen to take any pictures of these models before they met their death?

I've got a few pics, but they're all group shots. With the exception of the '37 Ford Cabriolet, which I managed to get 4-5 shots of. They're all on photographs though, none scanned, as of yet.

The models that bit the dust...

Mine
Ferrari 512TR Testarossa
Dodge Viper GTS
Dodge Ram VTS
'53 Ford P/U, slammed with custom rims
'55 Chevy P/U (second model I built)
C4 Vette
Cartoon Network NASCAR (scoooby doooby dooooo!)
SuperFLO Camaro NASCAR
'37 Ford Cabriolet (painted with Tamiya metallic blue (don't remember code) absolutely gorgeous)

Brothers'
Diablo
'71 340 Duster
'71 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda (well done, with a Tamiya metallic purple (like plum crazy))

Veyron
02-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Welcome! Sorry bout your collection, that Tamiya Metallic Purple looks allot like Plum Crazy to me too.:)

tonioseven
02-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Veyron
Welcome! Sorry bout your collection, that Tamiya Metallic Purple looks allot like Plum Crazy to me too.:) I must find this color!!!:eek:

Vric
02-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Welcome !

I have the same story or so.. i'm 22 (restarted modeling at 21 after a 7 year of non-building)

You will see, this hobby cost a lot when you are older hahaha

Geez
02-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Vric
Welcome !

I have the same story or so.. i'm 22 (restarted modeling at 21 after a 7 year of non-building)

You will see, this hobby cost a lot when you are older hahaha

Haha, yeah. I'm noticing that. Used to be you buy a kit for $10 to $12 bucks, a testors spray for $5, and work off a $15 Testors paint wheel.

Now, you buy a $35 kit, a Tamiya spray for $9, an array of brushes, Tamiya acrylics for $3 each, etc, etc. Oh well, I'm set up nicely again, so money is already spent. Still don't have an airbrush though.

daggerlee
02-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by tonioseven
I must find this color!!!:eek:

It's Tamiya MS-6, Mini4WD spray. Mini4WD has a few colors not available in the TS range. Good place to look for original paints!

How does it compare to Nissan's Midnight Purple color for the R33?

Geez
02-21-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee

It's Tamiya MS-6, Mini4WD spray. Mini4WD has a few colors not available in the TS range. Good place to look for original paints!

How does it compare to Nissan's Midnight Purple color for the R33?

Hmm, I didn't realize or forgot that he had used a Mini4WD paint on it. Unfortunately, the can is 300 km away from my current location, so I can't check it anytime soon. I'll see if mine is also MS-6 next weekend. Until then...

Geez
02-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Not my build, but MS-6, pretty reasonalbe pic. Has a huge colour variation from bright to dark. Very stunning paint.

Geez
02-21-2003, 03:57 PM
and...

Purpura Delujo
02-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Geez

Dodge Viper GTS

C4 Vette

'37 Ford Cabriolet

'71 340 Duster

'71 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda

NOOO!!! Did you get the Hemi out of the `Cuda? Did yo usalvage any parts from any of your now dead models?

Welcome to AF though, hope to see you getting into it and enjoying yourself. Modelling might be expensive now but from what you get in the end I think it's worth it.

Geez
02-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Lowryda

NOOO!!! Did you get the Hemi out of the `Cuda? Did yo usalvage any parts from any of your now dead models?

Welcome to AF though, hope to see you getting into it and enjoying yourself. Modelling might be expensive now but from what you get in the end I think it's worth it.

Some of them came out surprisingly well considering the circumstances.

The cabinet had glass fronts, and each shelf had a mirror laid on it so you could see the underside detail of the models. The cabinet was on a 4 foot ledge. Short of the story, cabinet tipped over, and got hung up 4 feet in the air. The front glass shattered, and the models fell 4 feet to land on the lino. At this point, the mirrors slid off the shelves, and landed on the models, shattering on impact with either the models or the floor, sending glass shrapnel at the models.

Some of the models were only scratched or had minor damage. Others, like my '53 Ford, which was trick, and as such, a little weak (C-notched frame, etc) pretty much exploded. All the engines are easily salvagable. In fact, the '71 cuda came out with only 2 scratches... one a notch to the back corner, the other a 3" gouge down the door. Haha, both mine and my brothers first models walked away basically unscathed. We used a lot of glue on those first ones.

The '71 'Cuda will probably some day be rebuilt, but my bro doesn't seem to anxious to start it.

My '49 Merc is getting treated to a NASCAR spec Chevy 350, which fits like a dream. It's also getting Corvette IRS and exhaust.

I'll probably rebuild the Viper, albeit without the decals, which were ripped and shredded when both bumpers were ejected from the body...

The 340 Duster is sitting in a box. No idea what my brother has planned for it.

I can't decide what to do with the '37 Ford. It took a few good hits, and will take a lot of work to rebuild.

Jay!
02-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Welcome to AF! :wave:

Where in the world are you from?

Who made your now ceased-to-be 512TR/Testarossa? And which was it, 512TR or Testarossa? ;)

Vric
02-21-2003, 06:54 PM

Haha, yeah. I'm noticing that. Used to be you buy a kit for $10 to $12 bucks, a testors spray for $5, and work off a $15 Testors paint wheel.

Now, you buy a $35 kit, a Tamiya spray for $9, an array of brushes, Tamiya acrylics for $3 each, etc, etc. Oh well, I'm set up nicely again, so money is already spent. Still don't have an airbrush though.

and the worst, I have for about 300$ of Supply... so why stoping buying kit ? hummm i'm a junky now

primera man
02-21-2003, 10:07 PM
My Willys was painted in MS-6

Lownslow
02-22-2003, 11:10 AM
i build anything from Hotrods to Imports my mian collection consists of 46 lowirders, 15 tuners,5 muscle cars,1 box stock,1 custom built Flatbed tow truck,6 diecast and a shelf full of unbuilts and ongoing projects

i fucking hate nascars thats the only thing i wont build:bandit:

Geez
02-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by jay@af
Welcome to AF! :wave:

Where in the world are you from?

Who made your now ceased-to-be 512TR/Testarossa? And which was it, 512TR or Testarossa? ;)

I am from Alberta, Canada. Whether it's Calgary or Edmonton, depends on the weekend.

It was a Revell-Monogram 512TR. I thought the 512TR was a Testarossa.....

Geez
02-24-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Lownslow

i fucking hate nascars thats the only thing i wont build:bandit:

I made the NASCARs when I was a low down teenager. I'd probably not make one again, unless it was given to me. NASCAR truck series is kinda cool though.

Jay!
02-24-2003, 02:22 PM
It was a Revell-Monogram 512TR. I thought the 512TR was a Testarossa..... They are a minor model change, but enough to be considered different models. Or so I'm told... ;)

Add your comment to this topic!