Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Express 2500 stalling 2 new fuel pumps

taker442
01-22-2008, 10:30 AM
The van has had now 2 fuel pumps installed. The orignal one quit working. The first one I installed would work fine the just quit working. With a hit on the bottom of the fuel tank it would start up and run fine again. So though it had a flat sopt on the pump. Put a another new fuel pump in and it startted right up. drove about 10 miles and it started stalling. Would start up after a few trys and run fine for a while and then stall. In a 22 mile trip it stalled 4 times, then would restart everytime. now if I statr it in will stall just sitting in the drive. The plug on the pump was clean and not burned so was not replaced. Any ideas???
Oh ya, 350 with auto and throttle body injection

BHolm
01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Did you Change the fuel filter?

taker442
01-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I did not change the fuel filter, but it was just changed not 2000 miles before I but the first fuel pump in. So I think that it should be OK still.

MT-2500
01-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Did you use a ac-delco /delphi pump?
Check the 4 wire wiring plug at transmission cross member.
Lot of problems there.
I have had to wire around a lot of them.
Check for 12 volt fuel pump power out of fuel pump relay and in and out of the crossmember wiring plug.
Will the pump run and put out 60/66 lbs lbs of pressure if you jumper a 12 volts to it at the relay and or back at the fuel pump.
MT

taker442
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
The pump is a Carter replacement pump (not a no name brand)
The plug at the transmember is clean and seems to be in good shape.
I have not tested the pressure yet (waiting for a friend to get me a tester)
At the trans plug it reads around 12.6??. I think it was battery voltage at the time of testing, I have recharged the battery as well from that time.
The testing at the trans plug was also using the power lead and the ground that is supplied to the pump, not an external ground.
Could it be a vaccum line or something along that line?
This is driving me nuts

MT-2500
01-22-2008, 04:50 PM
No on vacuum lines.
If pump is not running.
Make sure it is getting 12 volts past the cross member plug all of the time.
If it is getting 12 volts there and pump has good ground and not running .
The pump or plug in on fuel pump module is bad.
If pump is running check fuel pressure for 60./66 lbs of pressure.
Carter used to be a good brand but they have went to pot.
So Every body went to airtex pumps and they have also went to pot.
Last Ford pickup I had I put 4 airtex pumps on it before I could get it to start or run out of the shop.
And the 4th one us not still a little low on pressure.

Parts place sent them for warranty claim and Airtex claimed no problem on them.
Last week a customer of mine had a airtex pump installed that was so low on pressure it would not run over a couple of minutes.
MT

Only use Ac-delco/ Delphi fuel pumps

Add your comment to this topic!