Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tips to improve gas mileage?

A_dangerlg
01-22-2008, 03:27 AM
I've got an '87 B250 w/ the 5.2L V8 that I use as my band van.

We're going to be doing a little west coast tour at the beginning of April and we're going to need to pinch every penny we can. The van is currently getting about 14-16 MPG and I'd like to improve on that because fuel is going be our largest expense by far.

About 2 months ago I replaced the plugs and wires. I put in some of those nice 4 prong, pre-gapped plugs. I'm sure I didn't get the nicest wires in the world but I didn't get the cheapest either.

Before we head out I'm going to change the oil, inflate the tires, etc.

Anything else I should do? Will changing the fuel filter help? I'm pretty sure this is past due anyway.

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

bigfuchs44
05-21-2008, 04:29 AM
I'll tell you your best bet. I just dropped my 95 ram van with the 5.2 and got a used Magnum and Im not looking back. double the mileage and I got it for under 10,000

'97ventureowner
05-21-2008, 09:18 AM
There are some simple things you can do to help keep your mileage as best as possible given your current situation. Along with keeping sure you're tires are properly inflated, you could also make sure you're not carrying any excess weight that you don't need. Also adding anything to the top of the van such as luggage, equipment, etc. increases drag and lowers your mpg. Keeping it at 65 mph or less also saves gas as well as avoiding jack rabbit type starts and anticipating braking in advance and slowing down such as coming to a light. Those are some of the simple things you can do now to help keep or increase your mpg's.

alloro
05-21-2008, 03:24 PM
And use the cruise.

'97ventureowner
05-21-2008, 03:39 PM
And use the cruise.
Yes.Thanks for bringing that one up. I'm surprised i didn't mention that as i use mine all the time where applicable. My main beef about driving with the cruise on is that I'm going along at a constant speed and some idiot blows by me doing 10-15 mph faster to pass me, then pulls in my lane and slows down enough to where I have to disengage my cruise to keep a safe distance from them. :banghead:

alloro
05-21-2008, 07:02 PM
some idiot blows by me doing 10-15 mph faster to pass me, then pulls in my lane and slows down

Yes, yes, grrrr, pet peeve, road rage, kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. Phew, flashbacks are hell! :cya:

Add your comment to this topic!