Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no feet heat

cedcampbell
01-21-2008, 01:56 PM
I had my heater core replaced on my 98 2 months ago. It was the second heater core replaced since I've had it. First heater core was completely plugged from Dex-Cool. I went with regular anti-freeze after that. The second heater core developed a leak. I had a different mechanic replace this one and he did a complete flush and added neutralizer to the system. Anyway, I now no longer have floor heat.I took it back to the last mechanic who replaced the heater core. I just got a call from him telling me the flap in heater box needs to be replaced. I told him I had floor heat before he replaced the heater core. He said when you replace a heater core you dont get near that flap. Does anybody know? He also told me before he worked on it this time that he didn't think it used vacuum lines to operate the flaps. He thought it was electric. I haven't asked him about that yet.

WisdomRacing
01-21-2008, 02:38 PM
To say you don't get near it is very subjective...you have to pull out the entire dash to get to the heater core...and this flap is located under the dash. I would say it's very plausible he broke it while doing the job. Mechanics will do anything in their power to get out of expenses since it comes from their pocket if they own the shop...If you ask me he broke it. Especially if you or anyone else hasn't been under there since. I'd fight it if I were you.

Also from what I understand, the flap itself is operated by an electric servo...but the servo is activated using vacuum.

blazee
01-21-2008, 05:46 PM
" To say you don't get near it is very subjective"

:lol: That's a very nice way of saying that the mechanic is lying.

In order to change the core you have to pull the dash, and the assembly containing the heater core. The assembly has the blend door, multiple flaps, solenoids, and vents. He would have had his hands all over them. The blend door is electric. All the solenoids for choosing vent position are vacuum operated. Your's is not the first one to have problems with vent selection after a core replacement. If I had to guess, I'd say that he either knocked a vacuum line off, or he failed to remove all the bolts holding the assembly in place, man handled it to get it out far enough to change the core, and didn't know (or didn't take the time) that you have to take extra time to realign everything after being rough with it.

Add your comment to this topic!