Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 s10 blazer starter removal problem

kenny0504
01-21-2008, 02:38 PM
ok i own a 91 s10 chevy blazer and the starter went on it and i've tried to remove it but there just is not enough room to get the motor out of the bellhouseing. all i need is about a 8th of an inch for it to come out, no matter how i turn it or twist it just does not want to come out. There is no skid plate theres no bar in the way it just does not want to come out. is there something that i have to remove so that the starter could come out because if there is i dont see it. ive been at this for about 1 week trying to remove this starter but there is just no way to get it out. please any suggestions or comments would help alot.

its a 1991 s10 chevy blazer 4x4.

thanks, Kenny

G.A.S.
01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
did you remove the inspection cover? You didnt state anything about that

kenny0504
01-21-2008, 07:14 PM
did you remove the inspection cover? You didnt state anything about that

no i guess i havent where is it located? only thing i havent done is, Disconnect the negitive wire from my battery and took the bults off of the starter it comes loose and i am able to move and twist it, but it only goes so far.

G.A.S.
01-21-2008, 11:37 PM
the inspection cover is covering the flywheel. It is attatched by usually 4 bolts, 2 into the engine and 2 into the trans. right where the engine and trans meet.
With this off the full nosecone of the starter can be seen. This should let you drop the starter right out.
Of course removal of the wires from the starter will be helpfull in its removel as well. If I remember right, you can axcess the wires through the wheel well. Remove the right front tire and lift the water flap.
And, for future refference, always remove the negitive cable first.
this way if your wrench slips and hits ground you wont short it out.
Reverce for instalation, Reattatch the POS. first and then the NEG.
I also see this is a 4x4. There will be two support rods running from that inspection cover to the transfercase. I might be wrong on the position of the rods, I havent looked at one in a while but they should be right there.

mmixon33
05-03-2015, 08:09 PM
I know this is 7 years old but I just recently went through this job. Here is how I got the starter out of a 1991 4.3 s10 manual 4wd.

If i knew how much work it would have been to get it out i probably would have taken it to a shop. However after doing it once I am confident I could do it again in 2 hours or less. However the first time took about 8 hours.

1. all the basics. Disconnect the battery, Jack it up on jack stands, etc

2. Remove passenger front tire.

3. Remove engine shield flaps behind passenger tire. This will expose the starter more.

4. Remove all starter bolts and wires

5. Remove slave clyinder. I left the hose connected but removed 1 hose clamp bracket to allow more freedom.

6. Remove bellhousing inspection cover. (Not necessary but helps a little)

7. Remove rear 2 transmisson nuts. The ones that are the lowest.

8. Remove motor mount bolts on right side.

9. Lift the transmisson and motor slowly on the front and back with jacks. Make sure not to torque anything only lift the weight of the transmisson and engine.

10. Now I had clearance to get the starter out.

11. Reverse steps to get the starter in.

Add your comment to this topic!