Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how t0 wire a 4 0utsource (alpine Headunit) to a 6 speaker setup

justav6
01-20-2008, 11:26 PM
should be an easy answer for most of you. i need to hook up 6 speakers in my new work van. the alpine puts out 16 rms and 50 total. to 4 channells. do i tie the dash and door speakers together parallell or inline. ? then use that as fronts? i know im best off getting a 4 chan amp, but dont know how to wire the 6 speakers. any help i appreciate. thanks for the help.

PaulD
01-21-2008, 03:09 PM
I think the door speaker is only a mid and the dash speaker is only a tweeter. Get a harness and wire it up, it should power all 6 factory speakers with just the 4 channels

justav6
01-21-2008, 07:10 PM
appreciate the help. the front doors are 6x9 and the dash is 5-1/4. there were no speakers in the dash just wires. the speakers worked when i hooked them up to the wires. havent installed the alpine yet its still in the old vehicle. i was planning on wiring everything at once, but i havent bought an amp yet. i wasnt planning on using a harness since everything coming out of the headunit will be going through an amp somewhere. am going in the right direction here? also when picking out the amp am i looking for per channel rms to equal the combined rating of the door speakers plus dash speakers?

PaulD
01-22-2008, 08:23 AM
50-75 watts RMS X 4 ch should be plenty. I have never seen a 6X9 in the door - guess it's a american car manufacturer thing. You may need another 2 channel amp for the dash speakers, or you can wire the door and dash speakers in parallel.

justav6
01-26-2008, 03:26 PM
thanks for putting me in the right direction. now im on to step 2, buying the rest of what i need. so now that i have 2ohm draw up front and 4ohm in the rear i have another question. from what i read an amp will put out twice the power to 2 0hm than it does to 4ohm. so if i get say a Profile AP1040 Amplifier ( you said profile is a good choice) which puts out 4 x 80 rms @ 4ohms, good for my rears, but then 4 x 125 rms @ 2 ohm. does that mean that both parallel speakers up front will get 125, or since theres 2 does it get devided by 2? reason i ask is 62 rms is ok for the fronts, but 125 is more than theyre rated to handle. iv been reading what i can, but alot of this is a bit new to me, thanks for the help

PaulD
01-26-2008, 08:03 PM
The power up front will be shared between the 2 pairs of speakers, so each speaker will receive like 62 watts RMS each (at max power). Not all amps double their power into 2 ohms, it has do with design and power supply capabilities.

Add your comment to this topic!