Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

BMW 635 - which kit?

AmazonSprite
01-20-2008, 02:58 PM
For some reason, I just feel that I must add a normal road version of the BMW 635 to my to-build pile. Quite why I do not know, but hey, that's how it is!

AFAIK, there are three kits available, so it seems that I'm spoilt for choice:

Revell / Monogram (are they indeed the same kit?) 1st generation, pre-'84

Tamiya & Fujimi Enthusiast later generation.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the search function to work at the moment (is this just me??) & a google search (including on AF) has turned up very little info. Anyhow, in order to help me choose which one to buy, what is the difference between these kits regarding detail, accuracy, quality, complexity etc etc?

Links to any WIP & completed threads (of both road & race versions) will also be much appreciated!

Cheers :)

ZoomZoomMX-5
01-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I've had all three at various times. The Monogram is okay for it's age.

The Tamiya is typical Tamiya; well detailed and not overly complicated. Nicely engineered.

The Fujimi kit is for the masochist because it's got about 9,482 parts. Why, I cannot fathom. To me it is completely overcomplicated. Every one of those parts needs serious work to make it right. There are people that say a Fujimi Enthusiast kit is the ultimate; as good as any Tamiya. WRONG! The parts aren't nearly as well engineered. Too many mold lines and sink marks, too many warped panels. Terribly tricky little parts to simply cut off the sprue w/o damage. If you spend 100 hours on it, you'll have a great model. I question the authenticity of the wheels/tires.

How badly do you want to build this car? What do you enjoy, a pleasant buildup of a model with few hassles and a great finished appearance? Or detailing to the Nth degree? If you want a great model that you really want to finish in this lifetime, the Tamiya can't be beat. If you want to push every one of your modeling skills to the limit, go for the Fujimi. If you like nostalgic old kits, the Monogram is pretty decent too, but the rear spoiler is a bit big and the TRX tires are kind of lame.

AmazonSprite
01-21-2008, 02:16 AM
Hi,

Many thanks for all the info! The Fujimi one sounds like a lot of hassle, so I think I'll give that one a miss. I already have their Porsche 356 Speedster and am saving that for when I feel very brave!!!

I've had a hunt around for the Revell & Tamiya versions & the Revell is much easier to get hold of here in the UK so I think I'll go with that one. Revell Europe (http://www.revell.de/en/products/model_kits/model_kits/cars/index.html?id=207&KOKANR=01&KOSCHL=04&KGSCHL=&L=1&page=5&sort=0&nc=1&searchactive=&q=&SWO=&ARMAS4=&PHPSESSID=c8c1c67fcc152f8796a4b93c979b9b32&KZSLPG=all&offset=33&cmd=show&ARARTN=07377&sp=1) have the instructions available for download on their site & the spoiler you mention is optional, so I can always leave it off. Otherwise it appears to be quite nicely detailed.

Thanks again - much appreciated! :)

AmazonSprite
01-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Just found this comparison between the Tamiya & Fujimi versions, which makes interesting reading:

http://cifesystem.com/m635.html

Add your comment to this topic!