Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Restore it or make it fast?

74malibu
01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I got a 74 chevelle malibu 350 classic and am wondoring if i should drop a bigger motor in it or resore it completely? I like racing alot but i dont know what i should do with it, what yall think?

inafogg
01-19-2008, 06:38 PM
hello if it were mine i'd restore it for sure.especally if the #'s match & a 2 door!!!but i'd restore either way just MO let us know pics would be good

72chevelleOhio
01-20-2008, 03:27 AM
I vote for fast.

G.A.S.
01-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Think ahead. If your young, restore it. The value goes up on these type of cars every few years or so. Just think of having the equity for your future.
I have a camaro. 1984 z28. by the looks of things, when it hits 30 years old it will be worth a few denaros. about 20,000.00 of them and I paid a grand for it.
right now as it sits it is worth 8650.00 and I just keep it clean.
Plus think of driving this type of vehical, there quite the eye catcher when there fully restored.

74malibu
01-20-2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/C:\Users\ods10

'97ventureowner
01-20-2008, 11:08 AM
These cars are getting fewer in numbers as the years go on. I'd restore it because in the future if you plan to sell it , it might be easier to sell a "restored" vehicle than a "modified" vehicle. And the value of a restored car can increase faster than one that is modified.

72chevelleOhio
01-21-2008, 01:11 PM
ok, go halfway then, swap the engine, trans, gears, and wheels to make it fast. keep your old parts so you can put it back original, and so you can drive it without as much fear as blowing a #'s matching engine/trans. just don't cut the car up for tubs or race parts.

G.A.S.
01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
give me the lodown on this car.
does it have air, power stearing, cruise, 2 or 4 door, landue roof etc. You know what I mean.
I will give you an idea of what it is worth.
do you think it is in poor, good, fair, or exalant condition?

JohnnyL
01-27-2008, 03:15 AM
I agree with the moderator. Chevelles with matching numbers restored to stock are going for moocho bucks.

74malibu
03-12-2008, 10:31 AM
its a 2 door, 350. white with black vinly top. the front grill is bent in and the right front fender has a crease. but overall it drives good and with a few bucks could look real sharp.

metalhead608
03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
i just bought '73 plymouth satellite sebring plus, with a 318/727 i say keep it period correct. restore it with as many of the orignal parts then give it some muscle with out destroying the interegity, do what could be done or what would be done the year your car came out. thats the thing that makes a great car.

Devil-Dog
03-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I myself make it FAST like my Original body 1928 Ford Tudor Sedan,,Mines worth tons more NOW than restored to original with a 4 cyclinder. FULL BLOWN 28 and loving it
Semper-Fi
Devil-Dog

'97ventureowner
03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I myself make it FAST like my Original body 1928 Ford Tudor Sedan,,Mines worth tons more NOW than restored to original with a 4 cyclinder. FULL BLOWN 28 and loving it
Semper-Fi
Devil-Dog
I was always told over the years that "a vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it." There are those that would pay more for an original restoration, and then there are those ,(my guess would be fewer in numbers,) that would pay more for a modified version. you also have to remember it may be harder to sell a heavily modified vehicle because the buyer may not know the quality of the resto work or who did it, the experience and quality of the parts used, and it's potential for breaking down and then fixing it with replacement parts.There are so many questions and variables it scares potential buyers away.

ANGER_TRAIN
03-31-2008, 01:36 PM
not to sound cruel, but it's a 74 Malibu Classic. i've never seen a badass 74 Malibu Classic on the street or strip ever...

i'd park it and leave it alone, and build an old Camaro/Chevelle/Nova if you want a nice street racer.

moreoldcars
05-02-2008, 06:36 PM
not to sound cruel, but it's a 74 Malibu Classic. i've never seen a badass 74 Malibu Classic on the street or strip ever...

i'd park it and leave it alone, and build an old Camaro/Chevelle/Nova if you want a nice street racer.

I don't know about that, I've seen some pretty badass customs done on some rather plain looking cars - nothing is impossible. :)

Although in my opinion keep her original, fix it up so you have some fun cruising around town (slip in that 454 V8), and as time and money permits restore it to as stock as you can with the best options for '74.

Add your comment to this topic!