Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question for those who change their own oil?

mechhound
01-18-2008, 07:56 PM
What do you use to loosen the old oil filter and tighten the new oil filter, if necessary to tighten more than hand tight? Do you have one of those cap wrenches that fit over the end of the filter? If so where did you buy(find) it? Pretty tight quarters on the 2000 CRV it looks like. I think it would be pretty easy with one of those end cap tools though. Any comments or information appreciated, thanks.

cannotoutrunme
01-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Use one of the craftmans ban wrenches find at sears small and large size and hand tighten only if you damage the inside of the filter it can cause problems .

wiseguy01
01-19-2008, 11:17 PM
the oil filter end cap wrench can be found at autozone also rubber doesnt work that well once u get oil on it :lol:

cannotoutrunme
01-20-2008, 05:11 AM
This is oil restant and made to do this . Have you ever worked in a chemical plant probley not.

wiseguy01
01-20-2008, 08:47 PM
(SIZE=5) WELL it MATTER IF ITS OIL RESISTANT OR NOT OIL WILL BREAK DOWN RUBBER REAL QUICK AND THEN CAUSE IT TO CRACK SO YEAH I DONT THINK SO

72chevelleOhio
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
This is oil restant and made to do this . Have you ever worked in a chemical plant probley not. Oil RESISTANT does not mean oil proof. you don't need to work in a chemical plant to find that out. oil breaks down the rubber, even if its oil resistant. do you work in a chemical plant? PROBABLY not! stay in school! :disappoin

wiseguy01
01-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Oil RESISTANT does not mean oil proof. you don't need to work in a chemical plant to find that out. oil breaks down the rubber, even if its oil resistant. do you work in a chemical plant? PROBABLY not! stay in school! :disappoin

THANK YOU AT LEAST SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME

72chevelleOhio
01-20-2008, 11:00 PM
THANK YOU AT LEAST SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME :grinyes: yup, if he ever worked in a shop and replaced a set of work boots he would see "oil resistant" means nothing over time.

cannotoutrunme
01-21-2008, 09:27 AM
You people are dumb as all get out hats why I make 7 figures a year There is oil rest-ant rubber I would show you the formula but you would never get it.

jgr7
01-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Would that be like the water resistant watch that you can wash your hands with it on but when you go swimming it fills up with water? Water resistant not water proof!!!

cannotoutrunme
01-21-2008, 01:36 PM
What does this have to do with changing oil shows you just how easy simple minded people can be manipulated. This subject is closed, way off track.

wiseguy01
01-21-2008, 10:32 PM
because if you tell someone to invest in a tool thats gonna be of less use then the one that will last alot longer why buy the wrong one insted of the right one also you cannot close threads and or subjects because you are not admin also the idea of a band type wrench is not bad i agree with you there but they also sell metal one that will outlast the rubber ones thats all im saying but if you wanna squash this then lets do because af is an info forum not a boxing ring so im just gonna go ahead and call a truce before this thing gets out of hand

cannotoutrunme
01-22-2008, 10:51 AM
First I did not say buy it. If he did not have clearance for the cap wrench which is better. He can not get a metal ban wrench on it either the new ban you just feed it around slide in place and that it as. But if the cap will go on it with the socket wrench that's great. My god does congress need to get involved.

cannotoutrunme
01-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Would that be like the water resistant watch that you can wash your hands with it on but when you go swimming it fills up with water? Water resistant not water proof!!!
This has nothing to due with an oil wrench. And you need to stop buying cheap watches. Mine is find I surf dive ect.:runaround:

jgr7
01-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Once again your high school mentality missed the analogy. You should get back in your 2005 Ferrari Testarossa
2007 Hummer H1
1993 Lamborghini Murcielago
1994 Lotus Esprit V8
and Troll your high school buddies.

cannotoutrunme
01-23-2008, 12:35 AM
You are just jealous you still drive a Yugo, Get a life.

72chevelleOhio
01-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Once again your high school mentality missed the analogy. You should get back in your 2005 Ferrari Testarossa
2007 Hummer H1
1993 Lamborghini Murcielago
1994 Lotus Esprit V8
and Troll your high school buddies. I'm thinking these are video game cars or models, he's really around 15, and has no real friends and his parents are either freshly divorced or in the process of. so he gets on here and trys to make up for being rejected in real life by getting on here and trying insult and belittle everyone. :shakehead

cannotoutrunme
01-23-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm thinking these are video game cars or models, he's really around 15, and has no real friends and his parents are either freshly divorced or in the process of. so he gets on here and trys to make up for being rejected in real life by getting on here and trying insult and belittle everyone. :shakehead

Some people are so jealous it kills them with envy. Think what you want I know what I have and can get while you insult slander and whine like a little kid. I wish I was 15 again.

72chevelleOhio
01-23-2008, 02:15 AM
Some people are so jealous it kills them with envy. Think what you want I know what I have and can get while you insult slander and whine like a little kid. I wish I was 15 again. I'll be jealous the day you post pics of "your cars and 7 figure a year paycheck" kiddo! :rofl:

cannotoutrunme
01-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Break open your piggy bank and go buy a few mags. And hell no I will not post a check on line . this shows who the kid is stupid.

72chevelleOhio
01-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Break open your piggy bank and go buy a few mags. And hell no I will not post a check on line . this shows who the kid is stupid. I take it your check saying "McDonalds" and $5.75 an hour wouldn't help your case,:rofl: otherwise you could cover up personal info and post it. :rofl: thats ok, what's the new word in school for "cool"?? do they still make trapper keepers?

cannotoutrunme
01-23-2008, 09:23 AM
I take it your check saying "McDonalds" and $5.75 an hour wouldn't help your case,:rofl: otherwise you could cover up personal info and post it. :rofl: thats ok, what's the new word in school for "cool"?? do they still make trapper keepers?No just the size 2 diapers for you butt. The more you write the ignorant you are making your self go play with your toy Chevy's and be a real man.:screwy: you wished you made 5.75 and hour. I happen to be a 20 year exp. chemical engineer that about that the next time you drink something.

jgr7
01-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Troll, Moderator its time to shut this one down.

cannotoutrunme
01-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Troll, Moderator its time to shut this one down.
thank you it was geeting old will use one of my other ids and maybe the stupids will stay away.

teamo
07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I use one of those end cap wrenches. I have tried the strap wrenches and they are much harder to get around the filter and have any room to turn it as it is in a tough place on the CRV. You can find it at most auto parts stores but be sure to match it up to the filter that you will be using because different brands such as Bosch or Fram filters are slightly different in size. I usually put the new filter back hand tight and then give it about a 1/4 turn with the wrench.

cannotoutrunme
07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
What works best for you use it. But I will never know that problem cause I would not be caught dead in that kind of car.To many problems in them and to small.

cannotoutrunme
07-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Big race this 4th come join us all makes and modles allowed. I am sure we can find a class for you to racein. maybe.

Add your comment to this topic!