Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Swapping Air Conditioner System

crazythoughts
01-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi. I have these old 1985 and 1986 Mitsubishi Lancers. They are both of the same exact model. The problem is, the 1986 car had its airconditioner parts replaced sometime back with reconditioned parts after some problems. And its is not as good in the sense that it takes very long to cool and the air is not very cold. After many visits to various air conditioner workshops, it appears that this problem is because of the cheaper parts that were put in.

Now I will be selling off my 1985 car which has really very good aircond.

My question is:
I want to swap the parts from the old car to the newer car. What are the parts that needs to be swapped? (Not by myself but the workshop) I am willing to refill the gas for both cars and pay for the wokmanship.

P.S. In my country there is no law against doing such things. And these are old cars that don't have any fancy electronic controlled stuff. It does not even have fuel injection. So I think this should not be a very difficult task.

UncleBob
01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
depends on what the actual problem is with the AC system. If you wanted to swap everything over, it would be very labor intensive. The evaporator is usually in the dash and requires it to be completely dissassembled

IMO, you should get the AC system diagnosed by someone that knows what they are doing. "problem is because of the cheaper parts that were put in." is a very vague diagnoses.

crazythoughts
01-18-2008, 02:02 AM
ok.
But what part determines the "coldness" of the air and which part determines the amount/volume of air?

I changed the condenser, condenser fan, compressor, and dryer. I thought these are the only parts that affects how cold the air would be. What other parts are there?

UncleBob
01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
ok.
But what part determines the "coldness" of the air and which part determines the amount/volume of air?

I changed the condenser, condenser fan, compressor, and dryer. I thought these are the only parts that affects how cold the air would be. What other parts are there? if any part fails in the system, it will cause it to not perform correctly. If there's a leak in the system, it doen't matter how well the components work.

Add your comment to this topic!