Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

100,000 miles mark!

MSimpson
01-16-2008, 09:08 PM
My vehicle is about to hit the 100,000 mile mark.. It runs and drives pretty well, but there is always room for improvement..

I need some suggestions of some stuff I should do since I am pretty close to hitting that 100,000 miles mark..

2002 Blazer Xtreme 4.3 Liter

In the past few months I have changed front and rear shocks, front and rear breaks, rear rotors, thermostat (broke), fuel pump (broke), heater core (broke), new stant cap, new coolant, oil change (every 3000 miles), tune up (rotor, cap, plugs and wires), and new gas cap.

If anything else comes to mind I will post it.. But any other suggestions would be great thanks!!!

sickcallawayc12
01-16-2008, 11:00 PM
INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET. Excellent mileage time to do that especially if it hasn't been done in a while. Something you don't really want to fail while you're driving.

Chassis lubrication done along with those oil changes?

When's the last time a tranny and/or differential flush was done?

Radiator is a good thing to swap out also, another thing I wouldn't want to fail while driving just cuz it so important for the cooling system and tranny. I believe one of the former regulars here, BlazerLT, posted a horror story of his a long time ago regarding his radiator and ended up needing a new engine and tranny.

drdd
01-17-2008, 12:09 PM
don't forget rear differential fluid replacement and transfer case fluid replacement if you got one ...

personally, I wouldn't do a radiator replacement as preventive maintenance. It sounds like you've had new coolant and even a new heater core so you've probably flushed the system at least a little bit along the way. Other than clogging, the radiators usually fail at the upper side plastic neck -- the plastic cracks. Yes, you could get stranded somewhere with a cracked radiator but, only you can determine your driving habits and distances and risk ...

personally, I also wouldn't do an intake manifold gasket as preventive maintenance. Just make sure you know the symptoms of a leaking gasket and be looking for it ...

be sure to grease all the zerk fittings in your suspension regularly.

change brake fluid. it is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture over time. 100k is a good time to replace.

power steering fluid replace. ditto ...

clean your throttle body.

how are your ball joints holding up?

another cheap one is to run some Marvel Mystery Oil through your gas tank to clean your injectors ... buy a bottle and follow the directions.

My vehicle is about to hit the 100,000 mile mark.. It runs and drives pretty well, but there is always room for improvement..

I need some suggestions of some stuff I should do since I am pretty close to hitting that 100,000 miles mark..

2002 Blazer Xtreme 4.3 Liter

In the past few months I have changed front and rear shocks, front and rear breaks, rear rotors, thermostat (broke), fuel pump (broke), heater core (broke), new stant cap, new coolant, oil change (every 3000 miles), tune up (rotor, cap, plugs and wires), and new gas cap.

If anything else comes to mind I will post it.. But any other suggestions would be great thanks!!!

old_master
01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Don't forget the fuel filter and oxygen sensors.

MSimpson
01-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Don't forget the fuel filter and oxygen sensors.

The fuel filter was changed at about 63,000 miles.. Should it be changed now? How many oxygen sensors are there?

MSimpson
01-17-2008, 08:31 PM
don't forget rear differential fluid replacement and transfer case fluid replacement if you got one ...

personally, I wouldn't do a radiator replacement as preventive maintenance. It sounds like you've had new coolant and even a new heater core so you've probably flushed the system at least a little bit along the way. Other than clogging, the radiators usually fail at the upper side plastic neck -- the plastic cracks. Yes, you could get stranded somewhere with a cracked radiator but, only you can determine your driving habits and distances and risk ...

personally, I also wouldn't do an intake manifold gasket as preventive maintenance. Just make sure you know the symptoms of a leaking gasket and be looking for it ...

be sure to grease all the zerk fittings in your suspension regularly.

change brake fluid. it is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture over time. 100k is a good time to replace.

power steering fluid replace. ditto ...

clean your throttle body.

how are your ball joints holding up?

another cheap one is to run some Marvel Mystery Oil through your gas tank to clean your injectors ... buy a bottle and follow the directions.

How difficult is the power steering, break fluid, rear differential and transfer case?

Any suggestions on how to clean the throttle body correctly?

old_master
01-17-2008, 08:42 PM
The fuel filter was changed at about 63,000 miles.. Should it be changed now? How many oxygen sensors are there?

One load of bad fuel can clog up a fuel filter. Replacement every 10,000 miles is usually good enough.

There are at least 3 and possibly 4 oxygen sensors on your vehicle. Oxygen sensor reaction time slows down with use. Usually at 100,000 miles they have slowed enough to affect fuel mileage and performance. Bare minimum would be to replace the front sensor on each side.

Chris Stewart
01-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Achieving 100,000 miles is still an accomplishment and proof that you've taken reasonably good care of your vehicle. :cheers:
Do the aforementioned preventive maintenance along with your regular program and report back when you reach 200K
Give that boy a good wash & wax :bigthumb:

MSimpson
01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I asked a buddy of mine that is pretty good with vehicle repair about my transmission fluid and filter... To my knowledge it has never been changed. He told me that since I had never changed it and more than likely never had been changed before that it was best to leave it alone.. Is this true???

old_master
01-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Not true! There are several threads here in the forum about the risks involved with doing a fluid exchange or a flush, when the transmission has been neglected. Don't do either one, ever! At 100,000 miles, the filter is undoubtedly full of the impurities it is designed to trap. Changing the fluid and filter now, and then again in 500 to 1,000 miles, should extend the life of the transmission. If you neglect it completely, you may end up replacing the entire transmission in 500 to 1,000 miles! Fluid and filter should be changed every 30,000 miles. Use a name brand Dexron III, (or higher) fluid only, no additives or cleaners.

MSimpson
01-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Not true! There are several threads here in the forum about the risks involved with doing a fluid exchange or a flush, when the transmission has been neglected. Don't do either one, ever! At 100,000 miles, the filter is undoubtedly full of the impurities it is designed to trap. Changing the fluid and filter now, and then again in 500 to 1,000 miles, should extend the life of the transmission. If you neglect it completely, you may end up replacing the entire transmission in 500 to 1,000 miles! Fluid and filter should be changed every 30,000 miles. Use a name brand Dexron III, (or higher) fluid only, no additives or cleaners.

I really don't understand your post.. Sorry..

old_master
01-20-2008, 05:48 AM
I really don't understand your post.. Sorry..

Don't flush the transmission, you're asking for trouble if you do.

Change the transmission fluid and the filter. When you remove the transmission oil pan, approximately 4 to 5 quarts of fluid will come out. An additional 4 quarts or so remain in the torque converter, radiator, and cooler lines. The transmission must be disassembled to completely drain the torque converter. After changing the fluid and filter, drive the vehicle for 500 to 1,000 miles and then change the fluid and filter again.

MSimpson
01-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Don't flush the transmission, you're asking for trouble if you do.

Change the transmission fluid and the filter. When you remove the transmission oil pan, approximately 4 to 5 quarts of fluid will come out. An additional 4 quarts or so remain in the torque converter, radiator, and cooler lines. The transmission must be disassembled to completely drain the torque converter. After changing the fluid and filter, drive the vehicle for 500 to 1,000 miles and then change the fluid and filter again.

You say don't flush the transmission... Then you tell me how to do it?? I don't understand you.. Is there a difference in flushing the transmission and changing the filter and fluid??

Please read your post again..

old_master
01-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Flushing the transmission and changing the fluid and filter are two totally different procedures. Flushing is done with a machine that connects to the transmission cooler lines and forces fluid through the lines and passages. That procedure is typically done at the quick oil change places and they do not remove the oil pan to replace the filter. Kinda like changing your engine oil and not the filter, not too smart. Removing the pan and replacing the fluid and filter is not as "harsh" on the transmission. In extreme cases, when it has been neglected, changing the fluid and filter a second time is necessary to remove as much of the old fluid and contaminants as possible.

MSimpson
01-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Thank you for clearing that up for me..

Add your comment to this topic!