Front End Vibration

saskhockey19
01-16-2008, 03:10 PM
I recently noticed a vibration in my front end that has been getting worse. It seems to be coming from the front passenger side. I took it in to get it looked at and found out my CV joint was shot so I put a new axle in and still the vibration is their. So I took of the wheel bearing and replaced that and the vibration still occurs but it seems like only after i drive for quite some time does anyone know what that could be.

Thanks,
Ben Cysiewski

old_master
01-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Several things can cause a vibration. What speed does it occur? Do you feel it in the seat, the floor or the steering wheel? Does it change if you apply the brakes? Does it change while cornering?

Sonwatcher
03-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Several things can cause a vibration. What speed does it occur? Do you feel it in the seat, the floor or the steering wheel? Does it change if you apply the brakes? Does it change while cornering?

I have the same problem that started last week. It starts out as soon as I begin to pick up speed. I feel it in the floor and steering wheel. When I turn a curve to the left it goes away. It doesn't change when I apply the brakes. Just had new tires put on the front and alignment but the alignment didn't change it.

old_master
03-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Feeling it in the floor and steering wheel indicate a problem with the tires/wheels. What speed does it start doing it? Do you feel it at all speeds after that?

Sonwatcher
03-17-2008, 05:52 PM
It probably is noticeable around 30mph and gets stronger as the speed goes up. It is noisy too. Sort of like your riding on knobby tires is how I would describe the noise. It gets loud as the speed picks up.

Sonwatcher
03-17-2008, 05:55 PM
My wife just called and said the noise starts as soon as you start driving.

old_master
03-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Possibly a front wheel bearing/hub assembly. 2WD or 4WD? Sometimes difficult to determine which side is bad, but USUALLY if the noise goes away turning left, it's the left one that's bad.

Sonwatcher
03-17-2008, 06:43 PM
It is a 99 Bravada with Smartrack. If it is a wheel bearing would it be wise to make a 400 mile roundtrip this weekend ?

Chris Stewart
03-17-2008, 06:52 PM
If you can feel it and hear it, it's time to get it changed....not while you're on a 400 mile weekend trip.

old_master
03-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree with Chris 100%

Sonwatcher
03-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Ok, I just took it for a spin. Here is what it did. The noise starts as soon as you pick up speed and gets louder the faster you go. As I drove I turned the steering wheel quickly from left to right real short turns several times and each time I turned the wheel to the left it quit.

old_master
03-17-2008, 08:46 PM
The best way to tell which one is bad is with a stethoscope on the hub. While the wheel is off of the ground, rotate it by hand, you'll hear it!

There are two sets of bearings in each hub assembly, an inner and an outer. When you turn left, the inner left and outer right bearings are loaded, and the outer left and inner right are unloaded. Just the opposite happens when you turn the wheel to the right. That's why it's so difficult to determine which hub is bad. While driving, it can be deceiving where the noise is coming from.

Sonwatcher
03-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks a bunch for all your help ! I bought a hub as the bearings are sealed in the unit and will try to locate the bad side as I do have an automotive stethoscope. You have been a great help !

old_master
03-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Let us know how it turns out.

Sonwatcher
03-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Well guys, again a great big THANK YOU ! We found it to be the left hub and changed it. It runs perfect now !

msufroggy
03-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I just LOVE this website!!! I have had this problem for a few weeks now. It's getting worse.

I thought it was a tire, initially. It makes that "wub wub wub" pulsing groan. It happens the minute I start driving.
I can't tell which side it's on, though. I thought it was the driver's side, but when I curve to the left, I hear it louder. I still hear it a slightly when I am turning right. :banghead:

So do you think it's my RIGHT side that's bad? I'm almost positive it's a bearing now due to what I have found online, and in these bravada threads.

Another IMPORTANT question. Is this an easy "do it yourself" fix? I am a single mom, but I am mechanically inclined, and feel confident to do it myself. I have done many auto repairs on my own. I also have a friend who could help me.
You mentioned problems with "cheap" bearings. What is a good brand???

I also have a '99 Bravada SmartTrak. It's AWD. Thanks!!!! :smooch:

Sonwatcher
03-29-2008, 08:28 AM
The bearings are not replaceable. You have to replace the hub unit. Advance has them I believe for $93.00. It took us about an hour with my friend doing most of the work. I believe you will need a 36mm socket for the hub nut and a breaker bar to get it loose. Take the wheel off, disaemble the brake caliper and move it to the side.Take the bolts off the backside of the rotor. Also diconnect the ABS sensor that is connected to the hub. Follow the wire on the backside of the hub over to the frame and you will see the connection. Secure the rotor with a bar and break loose the hub nut. If you cannot break it loose that way put the wheel back on with a couple lugs on. Lower the vehicle to put wieght on the wheel then use the breaker bar.The hub may require jarring it from side to side to break it loose enough to slide off. Be careful with the spline shaft it slides on. Put new hub on. Make sure you feed the ABS sensor wire through the slot behind the hub going through the dust sheild. Reassemble same as you disassembled. The tork for 96-99 Bravada for the hub nut is 103 lbs.

I hope this helps. If anyone has anything else please add.

old_master
03-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Always remember: you get what you pay for. That especially holds true with bearings. (Avoid the "cheapie" hub/bearings.) BCA/National or Timken will provide much better service. Torque spec for the hub to knuckle bolts is 77 ft pounds. Clean the threads and use anti-seize on all fasteners, including the axle nut and splines.

msufroggy
03-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks, Sonwatcher, for the details!

I noticed the valucraft hub for $93, but because of what OM said, I might just go with the 184.00 part. I don't want to be replacing it all the time.

There was one in the middle of the road for $129.00.

Sonwatcher
03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
I would agree. I bought a middle of the road priced one myself. I just threw that out to you if you were low on $. Hope you get it fixed ok. :)

Add your comment to this topic!