Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another 2001 Trooper Tranny Q

AZASAP
01-15-2008, 11:34 PM
I have a 2001 Trooper with 76k on it, and I'm the second owner. The tranny started slipping about six months ago. I had the fluid checked and it was pretty bad (more than likely original) The shop flushed the trans etc. and it seemed fine. Two months ago it started slipping again from 2nd to 3rd, and when going into OD. It doesnt do it all the time, but seems a little weak. Once in awhile it seems strong with no problems. I've put 2500 miles on it driving easy, and two days ago I went to talk with the tranny guy. He claims its a matter of time before it lunches. With all of the various factors affecting these trannys, I'm wondering if its something affecting the performance and causing it to slip??? After reading many threads here on this forum it seems like it could be other issues. I'd hate to rebuild the trans and still have problems. The battery and alt I think are OK. I dont have any service engine or Trans lights on??? It has been running a little rough, and I've been planning on doing a tune up. Mileage slipped to 13-14mpg from 17. Any and all help would be appriciated. I plan on changing the Denso's, cleaning the ERG valve, new air filter. Could someone tell me where the PCV is and should I replace it. Also, how about the CO2 sensor.....or is that part of the ERG???
Thanks

edrhathaway
01-25-2008, 10:39 PM
I had the same problem. Did you pull the pan? was there a lot of "gold dust" metal in the pan? The problem is likely that your TC has gone, and in doing so may have dumped alot of metal into the tranny. If you are lucky, a simple rebuild and a new TC is all you will need.

In mine, the Sprag was gone, and also the Lockup solenoid. Mine is costing me about 2200 to rebuild.

Ramblin Fever
01-27-2008, 03:24 AM
First of all, there are NO simple rebuilds for this transmission...in fact, it's next to impossible to find someone who's capable of doing a quality rebuild that lasts....you're MUCH better off finding a used/salvagable transmission.

And sorry, but secondly, the transmission shop should've NEVER done a flush on a transmission with fluid that old and smelly...the flush is probably what finished off the transmission.

What should have been done, is the tranny pan dropped and a new filter put in along with 5qts of new atf fluid, then a few thousand miles later, do another drain/refill.....you NEVER want to flush a neglected transmission, the shop should've known this!

These transmissions if they surpass 55-60k+ miles without a single fluid change, they are almost headed for a certain young death by 70-90k miles. These GM 4L30-E tranny's just do not do well without very frequent fluid changes.

The slipping is most likely caused from too much new atf fluid at one time....it's safe to say, in this case, that the old atf fluid was HOLDING the transmission together, if you will, and too much new stuff at once after 70k of old/burnt fluid is what's causing the problem.

I've done mine every 10-15k since new and currently have 183k trouble free miles; what's sad is your the one being handed someone else's neglect; i.e. first owner.

Keep us posted...both of you.

AZASAP
01-29-2008, 02:34 PM
I should have stated that we did do what was suggested in the initial flush, well maybe. He drained it..... added fluid..I drove for two weeks..then he flushed. Needless to say it lunched on me last week and thus damaged the four valve pump.My tranny guy is now having difficulty finding a replacement. $900 from the dealer(ouch) ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO SOURCE ONE. He fully stated that it was a matter of time until it went out,he claims he's done six of these tranny rebuilds, and has been in transmissions for twenty years. I hope he knows what he's doing. I've given him copies of all the threads re this trans. Anyway waiting on a pump to move ahead. %#@* ME!!!

Ramblin Fever
01-30-2008, 12:27 AM
$900 is actually cheap. Most replacements are over $1-2k for labor and all.

I would personally find a salvageable one before throwing out money on a rebuilt one....make sure you get a good warranty with it, and make sure he rebuilds/replaces more then just the pump.

fourwd1
02-24-2008, 12:11 AM
First of all, there are NO simple rebuilds for this transmission...in fact, it's next to impossible to find someone who's capable of doing a quality rebuild that lasts....you're MUCH better off finding a used/salvagable transmission.

The 4L30E is a GM tranny quite similar to the common 4L60E.
Finding someone capable of rebuilding one should not be a problem (and I'm NOT talking about AAMCO, Cottman, or any other rip-off chain shop).
I'd rather get a rebuilt one than an unknown from a junkyard.

AZASAP
02-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all the input folks. I ended up getting my tranny rebuilt by a good solo owner operator shop. It came to 2350.00, and that included a brand new pump. If I only would have gotten it in prior to total loss, I could have saved some money. He put a shift kit in it, with stiffer springs, and It seems to be shifting great. He gave me a one year warranty on everything, and also found a leaking rear axle seal that has been undetected by my general service shop.

Add your comment to this topic!