Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can you reset the "Check Engine" light

matthewellis1
01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
I recently replaced my spark plugs with Autolites- I found out after the fact that they often cause problems with Rodeos. Sure enough my Check engine light came on. So I took out the Autolites and reinstalled the old original Denso spark plugs but I still have a check engine light on. Is there still a problem? or do you have to reset the Check Engine light? If you have to reset, is that something you can do manually without taking it to the dealership?
thanks in advance

Gizmo42
01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
You can pull the ecu fuse (sometimes also called pcm or ecm, its the main computer) which is in the fuse box under the hood near the battery. Take it out for 20 minutes or so and it should clear. It will eventually clear on its own after a certain number of 'cycles' but easier and faster to just pull the fuse.

matthewellis1
01-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks Dave - I also ready somewhere that if you turn the rodeo off, press and hold the odometer reset button, turn the key to the on position (do not start the rodeo) then that will clear the light but was told later that resets the maintenance light -

Gizmo42
01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Thats a new one on me, never heard of that before. Might do something on your '01 since it has digital odometer. On mine with analog all it would do is reset my trip meter.

Cat Fuzz
01-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I think he was talking about the oil change nag light.

You should be able to take your car to an auto parts store and they can clear the codes. If the light comes back ,you still have a problem. It may take several drives to reset the light if there is still a problem.

Add your comment to this topic!