Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

flywheel, torque converter, or worse?

monkeymantn
01-14-2008, 09:01 PM
I've got a 1999 LS and I have a metal ticking noise (sort of like the famous lifter tick) coming from the bottom opening of the flywheel. It's not a rod, as I know what that sounds like. It does not get louder when you accelerate, but it does get faster. It will do it in park, drive, or reverse. The noise comes and goes, but never gets worse. The engine was just rebuilt and I've put nearly 800 miles on it with no problems other than this. The CEL is not on, nor has it ever been since the rebuild. I took it to a local mechanic and he could not pinpoint where the noise was coming from other than near the flywheel. I'm thinking of replacing the flywheel and torque converter in the efforts that one of them is the problem. The only other thing I could think it might be is either the crank (which as just turned and the harmonic balancer does not wobble) or it could be the teeth in the transmission (the transmission shifts really good though). Does anybody have any thougths if I'm on the right path here?

Thanks

trooperbc
01-14-2008, 10:08 PM
well it's a total guess, but coming from what you've written and trying to read between the lines, i wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the flywheel (flexplate) bolts are coming out because they weren't torqued properly, or new ones weren't used and no loctite was used. if the bolt were working out and it touched something bang bang bang until it wore down until it worked out some more; or it's already out and every once in awhile it gets in the way.

does this fit with what you are hearing?

//bc

monkeymantn
01-14-2008, 10:45 PM
well it's a total guess, but coming from what you've written and trying to read between the lines, i wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the flywheel (flexplate) bolts are coming out

does this fit with what you are hearing?

//bc

That's what I thought was happening as well. But, the mechanic I took it to retorqued all the bolts...he said all the bolts were still tight.

Add your comment to this topic!