Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'03 Sunfire Headlight Problem Solution

himey7826
01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
First Off just want to thank everyone that contributes to this site. It made my life a lot easier. I had a problem with my headlights not working. The daytime running lights and low-beams would not work. High beams were fine. When I went to put the car in drive from park, I could hear the DRL relay in the fuse box clicking. After reading many posts on this subject, I combined them to come up with the fix to my problem.

First off, there is a harness underneath the battery. It's about 3" long. the wires travel beside the inner-body and windshield washer container. I found a couple of wires there to have been rubbing against the steel, causing them to frey. I fixed those ones, re-taped them but still no headlights.

After reading some more, I found a thread to look at the wires running at the front of the car in front of the rad. I found that there was newer electrical tape on them, so I unwrapped it to find the one wire with a butt connector all corroded. The wire in my case was blue. I fixed that, re-taped and the problem was fixed.

These cars are apparently known for headlight switches breaking down on them too, but by doing some testing with a tester it can be ruled out.

Again I just want to thank everyone for the replies they give to posts, which really helps people out! Cheers!:grinno:

Classicrocjunkie
01-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Hmm, actually the older 95-97 range had a lot of issues with the headlight harnesses. might want to consider putting some wire loom around those wires so they don't rub anymore.

Add your comment to this topic!