No reverse lights- neutral safety switch?

Dekeman
01-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Hello,

Driving an '03 Protege LX- manual. I recently had both reverse lights go out at the same time. Don't know when, but they don't work. I replaced both bulbs with new ones and they still don't work. The Auto Zone guy said to buy a neutral safety switch, but he can't get them. Neither can the guys at Advance. I've been thinking about this, and it seems to me that the car shouldn't even start without it. Is that just a feature on automatics? I'm thinking that when I find and install this switch (no idea how, by the way- any help out there?), I will not have fixed the problem.

So has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks!

Doug Tatham
01-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I'd check to see if your reverse light switch came unplugged. Also check your fuses. Generally, if you short (bridge) a reverse light switch plug (carefully) it will make the lights go on. This is a way that you can check the switch. I have an automatic, but the switches are usually on the top of the trans and readily accessible.

Dekeman
01-15-2008, 10:31 AM
I'd check to see if your reverse light switch came unplugged. Also check your fuses. Generally, if you short (bridge) a reverse light switch plug (carefully) it will make the lights go on. This is a way that you can check the switch. I have an automatic, but the switches are usually on the top of the trans and readily accessible.

Where would the reverse light switch be? I keep hearing that there's some switch somewhere on the transmission, but I have never seen it and don't know where it would be.

I did check fuses, but there's only one for the taillights- one fuse covers all of them. The rest of the taillights work, but no reverse. Replaced the bulbs, though the filaments in the old bulbs were fine.

Doug Tatham
01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Look for a plug on your transmission. The reverse light switch should be the only electrical connection.

Dekeman
01-18-2008, 08:02 PM
I found the problem- the stupid harness in the engine compartment was unplugged. I got a wiring diagram to help me find the switch, which said that the switch was in the rear left of the transmission. The wire colors didn't match, but I traced it up the engine to an unplugged harness which had the right colors (black & red). Said harness was in the center front of the engine, on top. Note to self: take all directions with a large grain of salt!

Either I left it unplugged after spraying out all the electrical connections in the summer or (likely) didn't plug it in securely and it came out. I know I've had reverse lights since the summer, so it must be the latter. Thanks for the help!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!