Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need Input.....

skippygozoom
01-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Alright so I have a '79 280zx 2+2. I bought it about 3 years ago for $500. It ran pretty damn well I thought, never got hot, didnt burn any oil, no crazy noises or anything like that.
Then after about 4 months and just regular driving, never got too crazy in it, it started to over heat on me. I checked out some of the basic things with the cooling system and found no problems. I had to continue to drive the car being that it was my only vehicle, im sure that was a bad idea. One day though it over heats on me bad, it dies when I come a stop and wont start. I get it towed home and start to check things out again and I find I have water in the oil.
Now from what I am told that means a blown head gasket right?

Well the point is its 2 1/2 years later and I still love the car and want to get it running again.

My real questions are how hard of a job is it to replace the head gasket on this car and am I going to need a bunch of specialty tools to do it????

Your advise and info are greatly appreciated!

Hodo
01-12-2008, 10:58 PM
On the L28, no thats a EASY engine to work on. You wont need anything special, that I can think of. Just get the tightening torque and the specs on the bolts and you should be good.

DeleriousZ
01-13-2008, 04:00 PM
and hope to hell you didn't warp the block/head too bad...

you'll most likely need to get it milled down so it's flat and square again.

Add your comment to this topic!