Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trouble Starting

kazslo
01-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi,

When I had a security system hooked up a couple of years ago, I would always need to hit the valet buttons at the same time as I turned the key to start to make the car start, otherwise the starter would just click.

So about 6 months ago, I took out the security system. Up until last month, there haven't been any problems. Then one day all I got was one click when I tried to start it, like the battery was dead. I couldn't get it started when I tried to jump it. I had the starter replaced, and the car worked for a week.

Now I am having the same problem, just one click from the starter. Sometimes it won't start if I was driving for a while, sometimes it won't start if I didn't drive it for a while. I cleaned the battery leads, check the ground, tried tapping the starter with a metal rod, nothing. Eventually, it will start, but sometimes it can take an hour worth of turning the key.

What could the problem be? Everything I read says its the starter, but I just had the darn thing replaced. Battery is good too. If it is related: when the car does start it makes a nasty squeek for a second.

Markb873
01-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Did you check the positive cable? Unfortunatly the cables are a $300 part. You can also try shorting the solinoid lead with battery power to see if it's a problem with the ignition switch.

Sounds like a connection somewhere.

Good Luck
-Mark

Add your comment to this topic!