Installing OnStar on a 2007 Chevy Colorado

schwaby
01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know if the dealer can install "OnStar" in a Chevy vehicle that doesn't have it? Right now, I have a Chevy Colorado which I love but it didn't come with OnStar and was wondering if this was possible.

If possible, any idea on a ballpark cost?

16th hippy
01-11-2008, 03:37 PM
well, from analog to digital, cost was one year pre-paid subscription and $20 for shipping(hardware was free). It may be a bit more expensive as certain modules will need to be added/replaced. only a dealer or a shop doing these kinds of repairs could give you an estimate. if they don't want to give you a free estimate, then go elsewhere. not even sure if it can be done. but worth checking into if you want it. let is know what you find out.

gsigmon0221
01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
You cannot install Onstar on a vehicle other than at the factory. OnStar is integrated into many components and this can only currently be done at the factory. The previous poster mentioned the analog to digital conversion which is different since OnStar is already on the vehicle. I worked for OnStar for six years.

16th hippy
01-18-2008, 01:37 AM
ok, the onstar guy thinks no, but i would still call around to dealerships and see. at my last thought on this subject, i was thinking the following things would have to be installed/replaced, and some modules re-programmed, that is IF onstar is available to be installed on a colorado.

VCIM(Vehicle Communication Interface Module)
onstar antenna(hole must be drilled unless you have factory XM radio, then antenna shoud just be replaced)
inside rear view mirror, or a button console added somewhere for the trademark blue button.
wiring harness(s)
maybe some extensive wiring into the fuse blocks.

if you really want it, try to get some quotes, worst case is it cannot be done. let us know what you find out.

rodeo02
01-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Different vehicle I know, but the onstar unit on the GM T360 chassis (Trailblazer and clones) is basically plug-n-play. It plugs into a large pin connector on the data bus under the rear right seat pan. Not sure if any programming is needed, but it plugs right in for install. I bet the Colorado is the same.

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!