Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Please help! MGB won't turn over

jeffcoduc
01-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Can someone please help?!

I have a 1974 1/2 MGB and I can't get it to start. Up until about a month ago it started and ran just fine then out of the blue, nothing. I traced the initial problem to the ignition switch and when I took it out of the steering column it fell apart in my hand. I replaced the switch but then all I got was clicking when I tried to start the car. I replaced the starter and it made no difference. The battery is brand new and jump starting doesn't work either. The accessories, lights, etc. all work and the red ignition light comes on but does not go off when I turn the key to start. The engine turns freely by hand, I have not tried to push start the car yet.

If anyone could please help, I am at a loss here. Thanks

KimMG
01-11-2008, 03:31 AM
Make sure both ends of each battery cable and the engine to chassis strap is clean and secure. Check the battery cables for corrosion. Corrosion can occur under the insulation.
Make sure all connections to the starter are clean and secure.
Use a meter to check the battery. New parts aren't always good parts.
Where did you get the starter from? Most chain autoparts stores will test the starter for free.
Clicking noise is indicative of low voltage, bad connections, high resistant connections.

Below is a thread refering to a similar problem.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=610154

Add your comment to this topic!