Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto-rx

Headnsouth
01-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Not sure if anyone else here has ever tried this product and I just wanted to share my experience with it.

I've got a 97 manual transmission Saturn SWII with 170K on the clock that was bought new and has had regular dino OCI every 3K+ miles. Its always run good but burned oil as just about every other Saturn out there. I consistently got 32MPG until recently it has gone down to 27 in the last year. Off hand I cant remember exactly how much oil itll use. (brain fart) But it was around a quart between OCI.

After reading about ARX I figured Id give it a try. I did a compression test before and took pictures of the valve train for comparison after the rinse phase. As seen below the numbers look bad.

Saturn Specs.
Compression Optimal
Compression service

So far at about 1000 miles into the cleaning phase Ive noticed an increase in performance, even the wifey noticed it in this 4 banger. Gas mileage has improved slightly even with installing new plugs. From 27 MPG on the 1st fill up to 29 MPG on the 2nd.

The other vehicle I'm using ARX on is a 92 325I auto transmission that I got about a year ago with 154K on the clock. There was no history on this vehicle and judging by the way the exterior and interior looked it wasnt very well cared for. But for $500 I wasnt passing it up.

I'm about 1000 miles into the cleaning phase the MPG has increased with every fill up 21 MPG was typical and have gotten 23 MPG on the 2nd and 25 MPG on the third fill up.

No valve train pics for this vehicle but I do have compression test numbers and like the Saturn they arent good. This vehicle burned very little oil but would leave a light smoke trail when given the gas. I have not noticed that again since ARX. Next time I have it up on stands Im pouring some ARX into the transmission.

BMW Specs.
Compression Minimum
145-165

Difference Between Cylinders
7PSI

Ok did a comp test today on the Saturn and at 923 miles into the clean phase here are the numbers. Used about a quart of oil so far.

Mileage Cylinder Compression PSI W/Oil
1 145 155
2 145 155
3 120 120
4 140 150

So as I see it cylinder #3 prolly has a valve issue.

Another update on the Saturn. Filled up the tank today and its back to 32 mpg. If I get time this weekend I'll do another comp test. I'm guessing cylinder #3 has improved just as Frank said or the other cylinders comp #'s have improved even more or both..

But I'd like to confirm the reason for the increase in MPG, its been a steady 29
MPG for weeks.
1K more miles till the rinse phase.

here's a link to the full ongoing thread if anyone is interested.
http://auto-rx.activeboard.com/index.spark?forumID=108943&p=3&topicID=14435425

More info on Auto-rx
www.auto-rx.com
www.bobistheoilguy.com

SLJ2137694
01-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I just had to comment on your oil burning comment! Your car uses 1 qt of oil in 3000+ miles? That is a long way from being an oil burning concern. The automotive industry won't even consider looking for a problem unless it is consuming more than 1 qt in 2000 miles. You said other Saturns use the same amount of oil, do you think they are all defective?You might want to consider filling the gas tank with only Top Tier Fuel as this will keep the valves, cylinders and fuel system much cleaner than other fuels.

Headnsouth
01-09-2008, 05:37 PM
1 qt in 3 K miles may not appear a lot to you or the industry but it is to me when my 98 Transport doesn't burn anywhere near that.

Earlier Saturns are known to burn/use oil due to a ring coking issue. Defective? I don't think so. Poorly designed I don't know that either but either way my rings are coked up and ARX fixed it without lifting a wrench. Go to any Saturn forum and ask around on the earlier models they burn oil.

The fuel is not the issue AFAIK when it comes to coking the rings its a oil issue. I've tried seafoam & MMO and neither did a thing for my oil usage or compression issues. ARX did.

The jury is still out as to weather or not ARX will help my Saturn burn less oil. I would think it would now that I have better compression but I'm taking a we'll see attitude.

BTW Auto-rx is not for use in the fuel system but in the crankcase.

SLJ2137694
01-10-2008, 12:37 PM
If your rings are carboned or coked up you may benefit from using a synthetic engine oil which handles high temperatures much better and does not carbon up like regular petroleum oil. Also, the Top Tier Fuel has additives to help address carbon build up and it would be just another thing you can do to keep carbon from being a problem. Keep us posted on this adventure!

Headnsouth
01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Update on the Saturn:
At mileage 172464 with just under 500 miles till the rinse phase both cylinder #3 and #4 have come up another 5-10 psi in the compression test. #3 is at 130 up 10 psi and #4 is 140 up 5 psi. #1 & 2 remain the same.
MPG is @ 32

J-Ri
01-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Did you notice a darkening of the oil beyond what it normally was once you started using ARX? I used a cleaner (SeaFoam) in my Grand Am right after buying it, after draining the oil, it looked as clean as when I put it in. 2,000 miles after the last oil change, and the oil still looks new. With 189k miles, I figure there's no way the engine is this clean... I'm just curious if ARX will get anything out of it.

Headnsouth
01-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Did you notice a darkening of the oil beyond what it normally was once you started using ARX? I used a cleaner (SeaFoam) in my Grand Am right after buying it, after draining the oil, it looked as clean as when I put it in. 2,000 miles after the last oil change, and the oil still looks new. With 189k miles, I figure there's no way the engine is this clean... I'm just curious if ARX will get anything out of it.

Oh yea the oil was dark but how much of it was dirt? Its hard to say cause the product itself is dark like rich coffee. Did it clean anything? Yes, without a doubt it did. The increased compression tells me that its cleaning the ring paks.
While I have not replaced the filter yet when I do I will cut it open and see what's inside. I have already done it in the wifes 92 325I and I did find chunks of gunk and plenty of residue in the filters pleating.
I expect see ever more cleaning during the rinse phase of the process.

Go over to www.bobistheoilguy.com and read some more on auto-rx these guys are scary they know so much about oil, additives. One thing they don't recommend is using seafoam in the crankcase. Its tough on seals and is a solvent.

Its a bit early to say but I just changed the oil in the wifes old DD and poured in a bottle of arx. A 97 Pontiac transport with 171k miles. I drove it work today and lately I been getting 3 DTC codes from my laptop scanner. Confirmed codes (I'll pull them later) but 2 were misfires and one was cat related. I cleared the codes and so far only one came back and there was noticeable misfire at stop lights. I even ran the scanner numerous times to check for DTC's. The cat related DTC came on after driving for about 15-20.

Coincidence? I don't think ARX works that fast but I'm driving it again tomorrow and have my fingers crossed.

If your interested I have a thread over at auto-rx's & the BITOG site under the same nic. I'm documenting the whole process just to see if this stuff actually works as advertised. I can say without a doubt it does.:grinyes:
www.auto-rx.com

sickcallawayc12
01-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Earlier Saturns are known to burn/use oil due to a ring coking issue. Defective? I don't think so. Poorly designed I don't know that either but either way my rings are coked up and ARX fixed it without lifting a wrench. Go to any Saturn forum and ask around on the earlier models they burn oil.

Ain't that the truth? Hell, many of the late 90s models burn oil just as bad. My old 97 sedan did the entire two years I had it.

Headnsouth
01-23-2008, 06:52 AM
I just used ARX in the wifes old DD a 98 Pontiac MV with 170K miles. For the last year or so its been having a intermittent rough idle and has progressively gotten worse.

Its been showing a CEL and reporting 3 DTC codes:

AutoTap Diagnostic - Version 3.00
Date: 1/22/2007 5:14:00 PM
Hardware Serial: 0058642002

Check Engine Light: ON

Time Since Codes Cleared: ---
Distance Since Codes Cleared: ---
Drive Cycles Since Codes Cleared: ---

Confirmed Diagnostic Trouble Codes:
Code: Description:
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

Possible Diagnostic Trouble Codes:

--------: EMISSION TEST STATUS :--------
Emission Status: Fail
Vehicle Model Year: 1998

OBD Compliant: Yes
Misfire Monitoring: Complete
Heated Catalyst Monitoring: Not Supported
Comprehensive Component Monitoring: Complete
Catalyst Monitoring: Complete
Fuel System Monitoring: Complete
Evaporative System Monitoring: Complete
Secondary Air System Monitoring: Not Supported
EGR System Monitoring: Complete
Oxygen Sensor Monitoring: Complete
Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring: Complete
A/C System Refrigerant Monitoring: Not Supported

--------: FREEZE FRAME DATA :--------
Generated by DTC code: P0305

Fuel System Status Bank 1: CL-1
Calculated Engine Load: 8.6 %
Engine Coolant Temperature: 199 °F
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1: -5.5 %
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1: -12.5 %
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP): 13 in Hg
Engine Speed: 1685 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 35 MPH
Mass Air Flow Rate: 1.745 lb/min
Throttle Position Angle: 7.8 %

Over the MLK weekend I changed the oil and used ARX. Well not 100 miles into the cleaning phase and the idle was smooth.

I cleared all the codes on the way home yesterday because the idle was still smooth at stop lights and rescanned. Both codes p0300 & p0305 have not returned. The CEl did return after another 15-20 minutes of driving but I suspect from my previous uses of ARX that the p0420 will also clear after I put some more miles under the hood.

AutoTap Diagnostic - Version 3.00
Date: 1/23/2007 5:36:03 AM
Hardware Serial: 0058642002

Check Engine Light: ON

Time Since Codes Cleared: ---
Distance Since Codes Cleared: ---
Drive Cycles Since Codes Cleared: ---

Confirmed Diagnostic Trouble Codes:

Possible Diagnostic Trouble Codes:

--------: EMISSION TEST STATUS :--------
Emission Status: Fail
Vehicle Model Year: 1998

OBD Compliant: Yes
Misfire Monitoring: Complete
Heated Catalyst Monitoring: Not Supported
Comprehensive Component Monitoring: Complete
Catalyst Monitoring: Complete
Fuel System Monitoring: Complete
Evaporative System Monitoring: Complete
Secondary Air System Monitoring: Not Supported
EGR System Monitoring: Complete
Oxygen Sensor Monitoring: Complete
Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring: Complete
A/C System Refrigerant Monitoring: Not Supported

--------: FREEZE FRAME DATA :--------
Generated by DTC code: P0420

Fuel System Status Bank 1: CL-1
Calculated Engine Load: 2.7 %
Engine Coolant Temperature: 198 °F
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1: -3.1 %
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1: -15.6 %
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP): 12.4 in Hg
Engine Speed: 643 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 0 MPH
Mass Air Flow Rate: 0.558 lb/min
Throttle Position Angle: 0 %

Pay no attentiom to the date on the auto-tap. My cmos battery is shot on my old dell 200.

J-Ri
01-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Go over to www.bobistheoilguy.com (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com) and read some more on auto-rx these guys are scary they know so much about oil, additives. One thing they don't recommend is using seafoam in the crankcase. Its tough on seals and is a solvent.

Do you have a link to where they talk about it? I looked around (good site!) but didn't see it.

Headnsouth
01-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Do you have a link to where they talk about it? I looked around (good site!) but didn't see it.
its in the Oil Additives section
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=5&page=1

Add your comment to this topic!