Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I want the headlamps to turn on when I...

LeBaron_Man
01-09-2008, 03:14 AM
Around my ignition I have a small green glowing light so I can find my ignition in the dark. It rings around the ignition. I open the door a it goes on. After I close my door it stays on for approx 2 minutes, or until I turn my key. I want my headlamps and taillamps to do the same. Basically as if I turned on my lights. Parking lights or low-beam headlamps or high-beams, doesn't matter to me, though I'd prefer my high-beams greatly, then low-beams. I don't want just parking lights but I'll deal with it.

I have delay-off headlamps (after I turn off the headlamps if I have the headlamps on when I turn the car off they stay on for like 2 minutes.) so would this cause any conflictions? The ignition light isn't on at this point.

madmanmapper
02-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Did you just say that the ignition light is not working?

Let's say it is working. The body computer controls the ignition light. Though it would be cool for your headlights to turn on, there's no purpose because once you've opened your door, you have found your car in the dark. Unless of course you have factory remote entry (unlock/lock remote). Anyway, let's say you want to do this. Since the one tiny light bulb in your ignition requires very little power to turn on, your head lights require a lot more power. SO open up your steering column and connect a wire to the positive wire that goes to the ignition light. Run that wire back inside your dash, perhaps under the steering column, over the pedals. Now you have to figure out how to turn on your headlights when that wire has power. Since headlights (I think) have relays anyway, you could just run that wire into your engine compartment and connect it to your high beam relay. I forget if they have relays, plus I forget if the relays are under the hood or in the passenger compartment. If they don't have relays, then you'll have to get a relay and hook that up and wire it into the headlight system. I've written a lot bye now and have been very vague, imagine how long this would be if I gave you step by step instructions. :lol:

As Charly said when he gave my friend his beat up 1991 Dodge Dynasty that was running on 3 out of 6 cylinders: "Have fun!"

Add your comment to this topic!