Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clutch slipping??

kpring
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I believe I have a clutch that is shot, but after doing a search of this thread and only found two posts concerning slipping trannys, one of them created a mystery of sorts when he eluded to another possible cause, it said this:

Hi Charger89,
We might be having the same problem.We all have '02 Elantra. Please read my post and my reply to Tvshooter. Please also drop me a note.:confused:

Couldn't find "his post" or anything from "Tvshooter",(search for his posts ended up getting an error) but like I said it makes me believe there is something else that could be giving me this symptom. What is weird and this problem has basically happened like within the last week. The 2000 Elantra stationwagon only has 60,000 miles on it and was driven by my parents until 3 weeks ago when they gave it to me. It does have the usual signs of a clutch going, clutch pedal doesn't grab until almost all the way to the top of the pedal, when you start out 1st gear is ok, but as you go into the rest of the gears and you gas it hard it slips. Also once it is warmed up and gets really really bad, to the point where you really can't drive it anymore. Any other things I should look at before dropping the tranny. Hydraulic fluid is right where it should be.

dmiller66
01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
If you want to best life for your transmission...replace your transmission lube with Amsoil synthetic...www.amsoil.com

kpring
01-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Changed the clutch,PP and TOB. Worked good initailly but the next day started slipping again. Then I couldn't even start it, like a lock out switch wasn't getting tripped. Bled the system and it worked okay again, but the pedal still seemed too high when the clutch would engage:screwy: . I'm thinking either a bum slave cylinder (clutch release cylinder) or a bum clutch master cylinder. I'm sure if I bleed it again it will work for a while again before going back to slipping again. On a Hyundai website, there is decent info on troubleshooting, service updates etc etc. The troubleshooting section says it is possible clutch pedal free play out of spec. Also says the usual - clutch and associated parts are shot, as well as the master cylinder is shot. I'll definately check the free play, but the master cylinder thing would be a bummer. Anybody out there have this problem before??

jsinton
09-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Yes, my clutch was slipping big time. I happened all at once, it didn't give me any warning. Clutch pedal seemed fine. I assumed the worst and dropped the transmission. Much to my suprise, the clutch was fine... the slave cylinder was hanging up and pushing on the controller arm, thus the clutch was slipping. I was able to bleed the system clean, and now it works fine.

Add your comment to this topic!